Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   i guess this goes here (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-guess-goes-here-16510/)

alandrums89 07-24-2008 11:47 PM

i guess this goes here

so i jsut got a 15 gal tank that i am working on but today at work i was talking with a colleague and he said that his mom was looking to get rid of a 40-50 gal. bow front aquarium with oak stand... i know i jsut started mine but heres the kicker... they r gonna give it away free with gravel accessories and filter!!!!!!! :shock: i mean i cant pass this up and if it just means i go slow thats cool but i pretty much already know i wanna do a pair of black veil angels my lfs has for 50$ they are about 5 or 6 inches tall i guess i think this is a good idea being as its FREE!!! what do yall think?

ps ima noob but i pick up things quick and i would say fairly intelligent so i should be able to figure it out through research and the help of all you beautiful people :D

1077 07-24-2008 11:58 PM

Sounds like the perfect deal to me. :D

alandrums89 07-25-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077
Sounds like the perfect deal to me. :D

haha yeah now just to convince my parents that its cool and reearange my room so itll fit oh well bye bye desk never use you any ways :lol:

onefish2fish 07-25-2008 12:09 AM

doesnt get much better then that :D just make sure you let your tank cycle before rushing to put fish it it. if you dont know what "cycling a tank" is there are forum post that are very educational about it. happy fishing and enjoy your new free tank :)
i suggest you now use your 15g for quarentine tank, hospital tank or plant tank!! yay :D just make sure its one and not all three.. nothings worse then taking care of new,sick,plants lol

iamntbatman 07-25-2008 12:09 AM

I think a 40-50 gal bowfront is probably a 46 gallon bowfront. Very nice tank. The bowfronts are generally much more expensive than similarly sized rectangular tanks. I say go for it for sure, as a tank like that would cost you a small fortune new. Even if you don't use it yourself, you can turn around and sell it.

jeaninel 07-25-2008 01:13 AM

What a deal. Go for it! It will be perfect for your angels (15 gallon would have been too small).

PDXfishy 07-25-2008 01:53 AM

Dude, take it and invite that nice lady to a beer. :D Great deal!

alandrums89 07-25-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDXfishy
Dude, take it and invite that nice lady to a beer. :D Great deal!

haha well im 18 but i will give his mom a huge hug haha and yeah i dont have the angels yet and yeah i kinda get cycling but the best thing is the guy at my lfs gave me his cell # and hes got mine plus one of my managers used to run/work and another lfs ( im lucky and have rougly 8 within 15 mins of me) so i have a wealth of knowledge plus all of y'all and i am pretty much set. but yeah im pumped i should be getting it after work on satrday and cleraing out my desk then loading it in any suggestions on how i should clean it up? said it still has roughly 3 inches of water thats set there for 6 months ewwwwww soo any ideas?

1077 07-26-2008 12:19 AM

I just cleaned an 80 gal. tank that I bought used. I used vinegar and warm water and a clean brush along with a new sponge that had a green scrubbing surface on one side. Given that tank has set for a good while with no fish in it ? I would dump everything and start anew. when it becomes time to cycle your tank perhaps one of the lfs will give you some filter material or small amount of gravel from one of their tanks. That will speed up the maturing process a little. Good Luck. :)

SheyFirestar 07-26-2008 12:22 AM

id clean everything with a really really mild bleach solution and then rinse everything a whole lot to make sure all the bleach is gone. it will clean up everything in the there and practically sterilize it too so you know nothing from before will harm your fish.