Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Tank help after medicine (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/tank-help-after-medicine-16455/)

shobxrs2 07-22-2008 02:34 PM

Tank help after medicine

I have a 20 gal. long tank that has been set up now for about 8 weeks. A week ago a new fish I introduced to the tank had fungus. I lost 3 fish and immediately began treating the tank for fungus. According to directions after last day of treatment it said to do a 50% water change, which I did. Apparently the meds have totally destroyed the biology of the tank. My ammonia is now at 4.0. I went out yesterday and bought some Cycle and put it in the tank. I also put AmmoLock in the the tank yesterday to protect the fish as much as I can. I will recheck the ammonia level tonight when I get home from work. If the level is still high, should I do another water change and if so, how much and how often should I continue the water changes? I feel as though I'm starting over from scratch...ugh, I need help!

Thanks

Jill

Little-Fizz 07-22-2008 02:52 PM

If you already have fish you shouldn't have to add the cycle product, but I suppose it will help move things along more quickly. I wouldn't bother with the ammo lock, thats just adding more crap to the tank. Just do small daily water changes of like 20-25%

What kind of meds did you use for the fungus? :? Sounds like you used some pretty harsh stuff. Have you run carbon in your filter to make sure all the fungus meds have been filtered out of your water?

shobxrs2 07-22-2008 03:04 PM

I used Jungle Fungus meds. I had the filter out during treatment (as it says to do), then I replaced filter (carbon) after I did the 50% water change. Should I continue daily small water changes and then eventually the ammonia level will come down?

Little-Fizz 07-22-2008 03:12 PM

:shock: So it wasn't the meds that wiped out your biological filtration, it was the fact that the filter was out of the tank for so long... Why on earth would a medication recommend this? Did it even cure the fungus problem?

Yes for sure continue the daily water change, your going to have to build up all that bacteria again, you might as well consider your tank as a baby now that your bacteria has been completely wiped out. I would be making a complaint to jungle too. What a horrible medication.

shobxrs2 07-22-2008 03:23 PM

Apparently the filter destroys the meds which is why they ask you to remove it. The meds did cure the fungus or at least I haven't had other fish come down with it. All the fish that got it were dead within 24 hours. I hope I never have that again, it's a bad thing. Now having high ammonia levels because of all this is a real pain. Hopefully I don't lose any fish with all these changes.

okiemavis 07-22-2008 06:49 PM

Ahh- you're not supposed to turn off the filter, just remove the carbon part! That would explain the problem :(

Just keep doing water changes until you can get the ammonia way, way down.