Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Hiq? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/hiq-16447/)

Zippo 07-22-2008 07:59 AM

Hiq?

hey guys I was searching the web and I came across this website
http://www.hiq-usa.com/maintenance.asp and on here at the very bottom it says
"There is nothing to change in either the towers or undergravel plates of the filtration system. In fact, the longer the system runs the better it gets, as the bacteria in the gravel bed continue to grow; the system responds to changes in the bio-load of the aquarium as the bacteria colonies increase or decrease in size products of the fish and invertebrates." what do you guys think about this?

-Zippo

1077 07-22-2008 08:15 AM

You would likely go broke changing the chemical filter media every other week . It doesn't cost anything but time to change out some water each week. O.K maybe some dechlorinator but given that dechlorinators are concentrated it would still be far cheaper than I suspect replacement filter media would be. Think about how many fish, plants, etc you could buy with the money you save. :)

SKAustin 07-22-2008 09:10 AM

I think anything with the word "magic" in its name is likely a sham. You are, in addition to all the "magic" you need to add to the tank, required to replace 1 filter cartridge every week. a package of 2 cartridges is $8.99 thats $233.74 per year just for filter cartridges. add in the cost of all the "magic" you need to add, and you're looking at around $300 annually.

I would heed the above advice and stick with monthly water changes in a traditional aquarium system.

1077 07-22-2008 10:33 AM

I believe SKAustin meant small weekly water changes once the tank has cycled. You may get by with monthly water changes with a VERY light bio-load(fish) but in a moderately stocked aquarium small weekly water changes are better than large infrequent ones. Less stress on fish and nitrates are better kept in check. I agree The words MAGIC are usually an omen. :)

SKAustin 07-23-2008 03:55 PM

Actually, with all due respect, I don't advocate weekly water changes unless theres a specific problem that warrants it. I personaly support Monthly changes of 30%, or Bi-weekly changes in more heavily stocked systems.

I'm not stating that weekly changes are bad, or wrong. In fact, they are beneficial in some manners. But I do believe that without the need to correct a problem, weekly water changes are overkill. I have two heavily stocked reef systems, which are much more delicate than Freshwater systems, and they see only monthly water changes.

herefishy 07-24-2008 01:23 AM

My guess is that is bogus and a shrewd scheme to get some lazy, water-change hating fish keepers to give up some of their money. Looks good in theory, but my guess, is that's about it.

I don't see a whole lot, mechanically, that would make it work any better than any other filtration system if better at all. You'll have to top off water to make up for evaporation...... Not a lot gained.

I can't see it removing that much detritus from the gravel. Buy one and evaluate it for us. I can't see wasting any money though.

1077 07-24-2008 02:15 AM

SkAustin, I fear my Discus would not tolerate monthly water changes but I agree that in SOME instances one may get buy with monthly water changes. In my view these would be persons well schooled in proper feeding of fish and persons with tanks of 100 gal or larger. Let's face it ,The majority of people are guilty of overfeeding and overstocking and perhaps could use more filtration than what they currently have for their particular bio- load. With all due respect' It will ALWAYS be my opinion that small frequent water changes are better for the fish and water quality than infrequent water changes. Also fish that are easily spooked are easily stressed. By performing weekly water changes , They become accustomed to that large hand that also feeds them and perhaps wipes down the glass, vaccums a small area of the tank, and REMOVES nitrates which in large enough quantities can stress them as well. :wink:

Kim 07-24-2008 12:03 PM

Sounds like a load of crap to me. I can replace the filter cartridges of my tank as much as I want, but I would still have water quality problems if I didn't do water changes. Never vacuuming the gravel, yuck! Sounds like an invitation for fin rot to me. Also, fish utilize the minerals found in water (which is why people add them to RO water) so it seems that this would need to be replenished somehow. Normally this happens when you do water changes. And what about oxygen? I would guess that there is a lot more oxygen in new tap water than even good filtration and an airstone could provide long term. If you are going to replace evaporated water anyway, why not change some water and vacuum the gravel while you're at it? Seems like a hoax to get some lazy person to spend money to me. And it does seem to cost a lot of money to keep that thing running! Just like the betta and the plant thing. As for me, I will continue doing my 25% weekly changes. :wink:

Zippo 07-29-2008 01:48 PM

I think this thing is supposed to recreate what naturally happens to fish in the wild. They have an article on their site about how it's based off of fish farming.
http://www.hiq-usa.com/Bright_future...sh_farming.asp
I'm going to look into this because I really want one but you guys are making me a little hesitant.

Quaddity 07-29-2008 02:17 PM

Reading their blurb on their Zero Water Exchange systems it seems like just a regular undergravel filter with reverse power heads (so the water flows down the tubes), some bacteria starter, and their filter cartridges. There's nothing magic about using and undergravel filter with the flow of the power heads reversed. I was doing this on tanks 15 years ago. Plus they are saying this improves marine systems? Why would you want an undergravel filter in a marine tank?

Save your money this is just hype to sell you regular aquarium filters with a premium for their "magic" cartriges.