Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   HELP! My Betta Has a Big Bulge (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-my-betta-has-big-bulge-16443/)

amyw16 07-21-2008 11:38 PM

HELP! My Betta Has a Big Bulge

I have a crowntail betta fish that we've had for about 1 1/2 mths. We initially had some water issues, but after that got straightened out, things have been going great.
About a week ago I noticed that the area under his pelvic fin and in front of his anal fin looked bigger or puffy. I didn't think I had really noticed that before, but I wasn't sure. I read about constipation causing a bloated body, so I cut down the pellets he was eating from about 8 to 5 twice a day.
Today the bulge looks even bigger though. I'm sure now that it hasn't been that big. He looks like he's going to pop right there! I would say it's between the size of a pea and a garbanzo bean now.
Is it constipation and if so what do I do about that? Or could it be something else?
Any information would be great!

perculus 07-21-2008 11:56 PM

Poor little guy..

Is he passing any poop? If not some veggies would help (pea, algea wafer) Most of mine dont like the pea but go bananas for waffers.
If he poops then it could be a number of things that you cant do much about, like a swollen organ or a tumor.
It has been there quite a long time..and is growing. I dont want to say it but I fear the worst. :(
Give us back some news on the little guy.

amyw16 07-22-2008 12:13 AM

I changed his water three days ago and there was quite a bit of poop in there. Today, just from looking in the tank I think I only see like one spot where there is poop.
I change his water every few days, and there's always quite a bit of poop until this time.
I'll try some veggies and see if that helps. I hope he'll be okay!! I'll keep you posted.

amyw16 07-22-2008 12:28 AM

Can you give them actual peas, or is it something I need to get at the store? Also, the bulge isn't like sticking out on the bottom of him or anything, it just looks like he's extra puffy right there. That's the best way I can describe it I guess.

perculus 07-22-2008 04:38 AM

Taken from the betta faq on the site

Quote:

My betta is bloated. What do I do?
Donít feed him/her for a day or two, and then feed him/her an unshelled pea. This unblocks and nasty stuff in their digestive system and makes them not bloated. Feed them a pea a day until they are not bloated.
Like I said some of mine dont like peas, algea waffer are almost always popular. But just a regular pea you would eat yourself.

JMeenen 07-22-2008 06:40 AM

There is some contaversy regarding feeding peas to Bettas..apparently Daphnia is a more prefered scource of roughage for Betta than vegtable matter however I have found it difficult to find Daphnia in any form ( freeze dried, frozen..etc) But I am still looking...in a pinch however you may want instant relief for your betta so get a frozen pea...thaw it in warm water..squeeze it out of its shell...cut into TINY pieces..feeda small piece at a time ..maybe only 1/2 a pea..out of 6 Bettas only one will not eat peas ..the others love them..in the future however it maybe good to track down some Daphnia and have it on hand in case this happens again..I have a female Betta who seems to get constipated alot..the other 5 are males and they don't ever seem to get it....anyway try that for a quick fix .

amyw16 07-22-2008 09:54 AM

I'll give that a try and I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for the help!

JMeenen 07-22-2008 09:58 AM

Good luck with the little guy..let us know

JMeenen 07-22-2008 09:59 AM

Good luck with the little guy..let us know

JMeenen 07-22-2008 10:00 AM

I don't know why it posted twice..computer not feeling well today I guess