Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Tiger Barbs - Should I add fish to reduce aggressive behaviour? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/tiger-barbs-should-i-add-fish-164329/)

ColoradoUtah 04-27-2013 06:40 PM

Tiger Barbs - Should I add fish to reduce aggressive behavior?

I have four tiger barbs. Since I bought them, three have hung together and one smaller one has been more distant. There is a lot of aggression between two of the barbs (possibly males?). To reduce the aggression and increase the schooling would it be advisable to add additonal barbs? My tank info is listed here and my paras yesterday were ph6.6, nh 0, no 0, nitrates unavailable since new test kit had the wrong reagents.

Any advise would be helpful and thank you for all the great information all of you have shared. I have learned sooo much!

mcompagno 04-27-2013 06:48 PM

Tiger barbs are not good for the community tank. They can also get very nasty and kill each other if left in a school of lest than six. My advice is to move them to a tank by themselves and add more tiger barbs.

Byron 04-27-2013 06:49 PM

First, I've moved this thread out of characins and into cyprinids, as all babs are Cyprinids.

Quick answer to your question is, yes. If you check the profile [click on the shaded name, Tiger Barb] it mentions that this species is naturally feisty and is therefore best in larger groups of no less than 8 and preferably even more. You have a 55g tank, so there is room for more; I would get another 6-7.

[Now, I assume you really do want this fish in your tank? Because if you don't, getting more is not the way to go; getting rid of the ones you have (back to the store or whatever) is better then.]

Edit: The previous post came along as I was typing. I tend to agree, but as this is a 55g tank (4-feet in length) and if the OP is careful with tankmates, this should be OK. I believe we have discussed his fish in another thread... rings a bell anyway.

Byron.

mcompagno 04-27-2013 07:55 PM

I would not put tiger barbs in a community tank. Sorry Byron.

Romad 04-27-2013 08:45 PM

I've got them in mine with no problems at all. It's all in the numbers and compatability. I've got 8 of them in with 8 Boesmani Rainbows and other tetras. Each group holds their own with no aggression towards each other or the other species.

ColoradoUtah 04-27-2013 10:51 PM

I have observed these barbs carefully because of their rep. They are not aggressive toward the other fish in the tank. Only within their own kind.

Yes, Byron, I have asked this question before but never gotten an answer.

I have become quite fond of them because of their color, behavior and group swimming style. They seem to do OK in this tank.

mcompagno 04-28-2013 01:25 AM

Reasons why Tiber Barbs are not good community fish:

1.Tiger Barbs are ravenous feeders that will eat anything and leave no food for less aggressive feeders, unless you over feed the Tiger Barbs.

2. Tiger Barbs can get quite large and will kill each other if they don't have enough room. A school of 8-10 (the minimum recommended school) will get large enough for a 55 gallon aquarium by themselves.

3. Tiger Barbs will attempt to eat anything that is slow moving and small enough for them to attack, such as smaller tetras or even medium sized tetras and live bearers.

4. Tiger Barbs are totally incompatible with dwarf, medium-sized or large cichlids. They will hide and cower from the cichlids and be totally stressed.

Byron 04-28-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcompagno (Post 1897193)
I would not put tiger barbs in a community tank. Sorry Byron.

Don't be sorry this time...I happen to agree with you. But every time I say this on here, one or more other members will jump on me.:argue:

ColoradoUtah 04-28-2013 05:47 PM

Hummm,
I guess I got my answer. Thank you, all.

I am going to have to make rearrangement decisions for my whole tank since there are several mismatches.
This was one of my original questions that did not get answered. These clarifications will fill in the blanks.
Unfortunately, I have become fond of the ones that I am going to have to separate.:-(

I'm sorry that everyone jumps on you, Byron. It is apparent to this newbie that you have a lot of experience and knowledge. Thanks

Byron 04-28-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoUtah (Post 1906345)
Hummm,
I guess I got my answer. Thank you, all.

I am going to have to make rearrangement decisions for my whole tank since there are several mismatches.
This was one of my original questions that did not get answered. These clarifications will fill in the blanks.
Unfortunately, I have become fond of the ones that I am going to have to separate.:-(

I'm sorry that everyone jumps on you, Byron. It is apparent to this newbie that you have a lot of experience and knowledge. Thanks

Don't worry about me, I'm a pretty tough old geezer.:lol:

But to your comment about questions not answered...where is this? I'll take a look. I can't remember the details sufficiently on the former post.