Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   plant ID help please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plant-id-help-please-163857/)

Persephone 04-27-2013 09:04 AM

plant ID help please

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,
I'm new and have spent the better part of the day trying to work out what plants I've brought home from the LFS.

Have been through the resources on here and bought 101 tropical freshwater plants by seeley, but not to much avail.

Can anyone ID this for me please?
Attachment 108353

I can't work out how to upload more than a single photo:roll:, so will add the rest in an edit or separate replies.

Seph

ao 04-27-2013 11:16 AM

i forgot the latin name. The common name is an aluminum (or if ur from a commonwealth coutry, like me -aluminium) plant ^_^
unfortunately it is not an aquatic plant... it will look very nice as a house plant!

btw, welcome to the forum! I hope to see your tanks soon!

Boredomb 04-27-2013 11:24 AM

Pilea cadierei*is the scientific name I believe. This plant as aokashi has said is not a aquatic plant but if you have a HOB filter you can plant it there. The roots will be fine under water the leaves just have to be out of water. I have seen some very nice looking planted filters done that way with Pilea cadierei* along with other types of plants. The other option is to take it and plant it as a house plant.

Persephone 04-27-2013 05:32 PM

Thank you. That would explain why I can't find it in the books or on the forum. :shock: Strangely enough it is the plant doing the best in my new tank.

My filter runs the length of the top of my tank up behind the lights, but can't imagine that I would be able to plant anything in it as it has lids.

Persephone 04-27-2013 08:18 PM

The other plants....

7 Attachment(s)
Here are pics of the other plants in my tank.

1. Temple plant (Hemigraphis exotica)? (left), Bacopa??? (right)
Attachment 108769

2. On the pot - java moss and ? Anubia sp?
Attachment 108777
3. Alternanthera reineckii?
Attachment 108785
4. Canadian Pond Weed (Elodea canadensis) (pretty sure on this one).
Attachment 108793
5. Crypt sp? which one?
Attachment 108801
6. ?Dwarf Green rush?
Attachment 108809
7. baby Java Fern - sp?
Attachment 108817

ao 04-27-2013 08:23 PM

i think you got most of them right. hermigraphis exotica and dwarf rush are probably not true aquatic plants... which will explain why Money Mitch's one died off....
he called it the tempes plant~ I had no idea what that was XD

redchigh 04-30-2013 06:48 PM

the one you call backpack is actually either "creeping Jenny" or "baby tears". sorry all i hhave is the common name, but someone else can Google them for me.

MoneyMitch 04-30-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aokashi (Post 1896825)
i think you got most of them right. hermigraphis exotica and dwarf rush are probably not true aquatic plants... which will explain why Money Mitch's one died off....
he called it the tempes plant~ I had no idea what that was XD

think mine was more related to the excel, was doing great until a day or two after the first initial dose.

jakinthebox 05-02-2013 05:11 AM

At one stage I tried varegated rush, dwarf rush and the longer green rush and they all went the same way. They would live for about a month, everything would be fine then then the base of the outer leafs would gradualy disintegrate until there were none left. I bought them because I saw them attached to driftwood in the LPS and got so frustrated when I could not do the same. That was before I learned that they grow them only half in the water to do this. Tried Aluminum too which would last around 2 weeks before the leaves fell off.

Persephone 05-08-2013 12:17 AM

Thanks everyone.

So I am now just watching and waiting for the 3 non-aquarium plants to die off. So far the aluminium and dwarf grass are staying alive and have only lost a leaf or two.

The bacopa carked it. Read on the label at the LFS when I went back that it needs CO2 and Bright light and I have neither. Have since replaced it with two wisteria and two Anubia which seem to be going ok. Am now also fertilizing with something called "Leaf".