Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Which Moss/Plants Would Achieve This Overgrown Look? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/moss-plants-would-achieve-overgrown-look-163737/)

jakinthebox 04-26-2013 10:40 PM

Which Moss/Plants Would Achieve This Overgrown Look?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Everybody!
Recently I was researching plants & planted tanks and found a beautiful tank photo on fish forum I had never been to before. This photo is one of many taken by somebody lucky enough to attend a nature aquarium exhibition. I wish I could credit the photographer or at least the forum but my computer died just after I saved it and even after extensive searching I have not been able to locate it again.

I think it is truly stunning and I just love the simplicity of the design. I just love the lush overgrown richness of this tank and feel inspired to create something similar (but not the same) however I am not very familiar with aquatic mosses. Does anybody know what kind of moss this might be or at least which kind of moss could be used for a similar effect? I'd also like to identify the foreground plants. Any suggestions are appreciated:)

AndrewM21 04-26-2013 10:50 PM

The most two common types of moss would be Java Moss and Willow Moss.

Perhaps one of those are what you are looking for? It's really difficult to tell you what it may be without a photo, as there are numerous species of plants.

jakinthebox 04-26-2013 10:56 PM

Oops

Oops, silly me! I have edited my first post to include the photos. The moss seems to 'drape' itself over the wood.

MoneyMitch 04-27-2013 04:47 AM

Java can get this effect pretty easily java moss

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

JDM 04-27-2013 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a shot of some java moss in my tank.... The stuff in your photos looks more like small dense leaves rather than hairy growth. Java moss gets out of hand easily and just grows out in a mass and needs pruning... mine is due for a hair cut again.

I don't know what those are in the shot but I suspect CO2 and fairly high light just due to the small plants... that seems to be a common thing with the smaller plants anyway. To me and "overgrown" look comes from plants that grow into the open water space, not just covering the wood and substrate and perhaps some hanging roots from floaters but I suppose that comes from not wanting to get into a higher energy setup.

Jeff.

jakinthebox 04-27-2013 11:01 AM

I have to agree with you Jeff, I had Java Moss years ago and now that I see your photo I remember it being much the same, growing in a bit of a messy clump sideways and up. I also agree that this tank is to clipped and pruned for my tastes, I do like it when the plants have more of a wild look about them. I meant overgrown as in the way the moss has grown over the driftwood and then hangs down over the edge. I know of several mosses that grow up like flame moss, stringy moss and erect moss but don't know of any that have a tendancy to obey gravity and grow down like this. I did not realise that the little plants needed a lot of light, are there any low carpet plants that would grow properly in a low tech setup?

ao 04-27-2013 11:07 AM

the plants inbetween the moss looks like hydrocotyle tripartita (also known as H. sp. Japan) and Staurogyne repens.
I recommend peacock moss as it grow quite fast and the fronds are fairly fluffy, I think the clump is part of the hard scape with the moss tied on to it...
I cant see exactly what the "moss" is... but it reminds me of mini pellia XD

jakinthebox 04-27-2013 11:22 AM

Maybe Java does grow down in the right kind of light/conditions. MM have you had Java moss that grew down?

ao 04-27-2013 11:28 AM

IME it does grow down somewhat. but the fronds are rather sparse

jakinthebox 04-27-2013 11:57 AM

I just looked up the two plants you mentioned, your right they look exactly the same! YAY!! I might try Staurogyne repens when I upgrade my lighting, it would probably just die on me if I put it in now. And I actually just bought both Phoenix Moss and Mini Peilia but they have not yet arrived, I'll have to pay close attention to their growth when they get here.