Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Gravel or Sand???? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/gravel-sand-16351/)

sheena0709 07-17-2008 03:02 PM

Gravel or Sand????

I have a 29 gallon tank for fresh water fish. I am useing gravel and sand. But would rather stick to one kind. My question is, Which do you perfer??

If i stick with gravel should i stick with natural color??

Emphasy 07-17-2008 03:04 PM

Sand

I prefer gravel, and I have black, but my grandmother had blue, so I don't think it really matter, but my fish are certainly happy. :D

Emphasy 07-17-2008 03:05 PM

I have three mollies. A male and female dalmation and a black female.

Little-Fizz 07-17-2008 03:17 PM

Hmmm gravel and sand? Hows that working out for you? Like you mean.. Mixed together?

Personally I LOVE sand, it looks wonderful, some nice black sand!!! But sand also requires a little more care then gravel because you have to stir it up to avoid dead spots.

And gravel is just easy to clean, but I do like the more natural colours of gravel rather then the brightly coloured stuff.

sheena0709 07-17-2008 03:35 PM

It WAS working out pretty well. But the other day i did a water change and stired up the sand and gravel and now my nitrites and nitrates are off the wall.

It looked really nice. I had the white sand red and blue gravel. But i wanna just start over and stick with one kind.

crazy4fish 07-17-2008 04:05 PM

in my 29 gallon i have gravel... but i LOVE the way sand looks. i think either would be good. if you get gravel i would stick to natural colors....i just think it looks better.

jeaninel 07-17-2008 05:00 PM

What fish do you have? If you have cories or loaches I would go with sand. Otherwise gravel is easier to vacuum. I like natural colored gravel.

Little-Fizz 07-17-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheena0709
It WAS working out pretty well. But the other day i did a water change and stired up the sand and gravel and now my nitrites and nitrates are off the wall.

It looked really nice. I had the white sand red and blue gravel. But i wanna just start over and stick with one kind.

Really? I thought sand just falls through if you put it with gravel? Do you have more sand then gravel or something? Sounds like an interesting set up, do you have a picture?

You should really be vacuuming your gravel every time you do a water change. You probably sent the nitrites and nitrates off the charts because you have sooo much crap all stuck down there.

But I vote sand, unless your not down for the extra care, and then in that case natural coloured gravel!!!

sheena0709 07-17-2008 05:30 PM

I think i am up for all the care that sand needs. I do have a pic. I will have to look for it.

I didnt relieze i could use a vacuum with the sand until the other day when i asked the question here.

I do have a cory. He is retared but i thinks its becuase i dont have more of them.

I do have alot of fis and looking to get rid of some of them becuase i want to go to a guppie tank.

sheena0709 07-17-2008 05:45 PM

Well found the pic. I tried adding it but it told me it was too big. So if you would like to see a pic just send me an email at im_the_bitch84@yahoo.com