Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Sanitizing Fish Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/sanitizing-fish-equipment-163465/)

twocents 04-26-2013 06:30 PM

Sanitizing Fish Equipment

I think I just had a bout with columnaris.
I would upload a pic, but all the fish died in 2 days.
Looked like ich, then like a fungus, fuzzy patches, but then the caudal fins started to rot, and they were trailing white string from them.
I have some equipment that I need to sterilize. Any ideas?

also, any idea on how to proceed?
all that is left is a pleco which I think is dying. If I catch him, I'm going to euthanize him.
the plan I have is to sock the tank with meds, some water changes, and then sock it again.
anti bacterials, whatever I can get my hands one.
any input would be appreciated. so far it has not spread to the other tanks.

Thanks.

jaysee 04-26-2013 06:52 PM

I've honestly never sanitized anything - I just let it dry, and clean with hot water. Not saying you should do the same - just saying what I do, which has worked out fine for me and the close to 30 tanks I've had over the years.

As for the pleco - I cull a fish when it fails the net test. If a fish is easily netted, then it is in deep trouble. If its able to avoid being netted, then it's still got some life in it and so there's hope.

MoneyMitch 04-26-2013 07:36 PM

u can always add some bleach, its safe to use to clean a tank with with no live stock in there. itll sanitize and still be safe for fish use after. I would use a good conditioner before restocking after use of bleach though.

twocents 04-26-2013 08:31 PM

thanks mitch, the tank is heavily planted, so not sure the bleach would be good for that.
for hot water, I would heat it close to boiling, many bacteria can form cysts, spores or other protection to survive desiccation.

MoneyMitch 04-26-2013 08:35 PM

plants would copunt as love stock :P ive had success with the bleach method after nuking a tank after a similar problem. to each their own =D

twocents 04-26-2013 08:42 PM

yeah, I agree, bleach would fix the problem. would probably also nuke my aquariapure. I just hope that filter does not harbor the columnaris as well.

MoneyMitch 04-27-2013 02:11 PM

ahh yea no experience with the aquariapure thingy, maybe post in their section see what they think?

mcompagno 04-27-2013 06:10 PM

All this happened in two days? Normally ich or fungus takes much longer to develop and to start killing fish.

twocents 04-28-2013 07:39 PM

mcompagno, I think it is columnaris, so i was using all the wrong treatment. and the speed with which it murdered everything also points to it. I wish it weren't so, highly contagious and damned hard to get rid of.

mcompagno 05-01-2013 12:51 PM

Oh man...I just did some research on that disease...nasty stuff! How is it avoidable?