Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Need to move 150 gal tank, what do i do with my 15 in Pacu. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/need-move-150-gal-tank-what-16307/)

Jo 07-16-2008 05:49 PM

Need to move 150 gal tank, what do i do with my 15 in Pacu.

I can't leave him in the tank as the amount of water i would need to leave would make it too heavy. He spooks so easily, He's ok when I'm in there cleaning the tank, but show him a net and he goes crazy.
the only thing i can think of is puting him in the bath tub or a large plastic bucket with a bag liner. We have a large soft net, that my husband bought for fishing, but never caught any fish to use it.
The last time I moved him he was 6 ins, this is quite a difference, he's 5 times bigger and atleast 3 ins wide.
I'm still on the look out for a bigger tank !

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks Jo

onefish2fish 08-05-2008 12:27 AM

where are you moving the tank? the next room, down the street, the next state, across country, my house? id say thats a big factor on what to do with your fish.

Little-Fizz 08-05-2008 06:01 AM

Get one of those platic tubs you can buy at like... Say walmart or something... You know one of those things parents buy to keep their kids toys in when they get crazy out of control messy.

girlofgod 08-05-2008 12:15 PM

you should be able to move him safely with the net into a large bucket with water from the tank, and then just aerate the water using an air pump until you can put him back in the tank. i would save as much of his tank water as possible, but he will still need to be re-acclimated to his new tank conditions. (that means, don't just plop him back in the new tank if you've changed all the water.) this should all be done as quickly as possible, and I dont recommend moving him until all other preparations have been made. but he should be fine for a couple of hours like that. as long as his water stays oxygenated.

good luck!!

okiemavis 08-05-2008 07:45 PM

Keep in mind that it's not safe to transport a tank (especially of that size) with any water remaining in it. However, you will want to retain as much of the bacteria as possible. Keep all your substrate and filter media wet during the move.

Jo 08-06-2008 12:09 PM

Thanks for your help, I forgot to mention I was only moving the tank 10 feet, away from the window to a wall space. Anyway opped for a bigger tank, so will wait till it comes in then transfer everything over.
Not looking forward to catching the big guy, he's scareed of everything, I just hope he does'nt stress out and get ick.

Little-Fizz 08-06-2008 04:30 PM

... Can I have your old tank? :D Lol, sorry. Just thought it was funny that you would go for a bigger tank. You should post pics when you do it!