Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Is it old age? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/old-age-162801/)

Vpaw 04-25-2013 09:26 PM

Is it old age?

K, this month, I have lost about 5 fish, all ones that were born with me about 2 years ago, maybe more. They are guppies, the you gets ones seem fine. But the fish die, one by one! Is it from old age? Since they are all the same age?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Chesh 04-26-2013 07:15 PM

With only that to go on, it's really hard to say, but if you haven't made any changes to their environment, keep the water clean, and see no other symptoms to indicate illness, I think that old age is a fairly good guess. It sounds like your little Gups have lived a long and happy life under your care. Sorry for your losses :(

Vpaw 04-26-2013 07:29 PM

Well I do 10-15% water changes weekly. I feed only what they'll eat and pick the rest up. I give them filtered spring water, what my family drinks, and have done so for 7 years. This is a 20 gallon with now 17 fish and 2 frogs, and an Otto. I recently, about two weeks ago changed the substrate from gravel to sand.

Chesh 04-26-2013 07:44 PM

Lovely to see someone who provides such good care!

The only thing I can see here that could have caused an upset would be the change of substrate, which *possibly* could have affected the bacteria. But you said the fish started dying before that, right?

I really think you may have solved your own mystery - old age seems to be a perfectly logical conclusion. . . guppies aren't a terribly long lived fish.

You have far more experience than I do, though. Maybe one of our other members will stumble onto this thread and be able to provide you with a better answer. . .

Vpaw 04-26-2013 07:48 PM

Well thanks for aswring anyways :)

Tazman 04-26-2013 07:53 PM

Do you test your water parameters?

I am concerned that your tank may have experienced a mini cycle from you changing the substrate. The substrate houses a large population of bacteria, changing this could have wiped out enough bacteria to send your tank into a cycle.

MoneyMitch 04-26-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1885633)
Do you test your water parameters?

I am concerned that your tank may have experienced a mini cycle from you changing the substrate. The substrate houses a large population of bacteria, changing this could have wiped out enough bacteria to send your tank into a cycle.

+1

Vpaw 04-26-2013 09:36 PM

Hmm... It could be, but the sand was from a cycled tank and the gravel went into that tank. I didn't touch the filter cartriage either.