Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Sad news

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  perculus 
#1 ·
So the night before last we came home and watched one of our platys die and I was very sad and I felt so bad I have no clue what happened then I noticed to of the other platys that are normally bright yellow and black were almost completly white and yesterday morning one of the Ballon mollies was gone ( not gone gone but had passed ). I did check my WP and there were all right on, the temp was normal, so I have no clue but I did add 3 balloon mollies on friday night. Well anyhow everything has been fine since and I even have a fry in there that is doing really well growing bigger everyday. I just wanted to share my news, if you all have any ideas.... By the way the platys have regained most of their color.

I have a 55 gallon
2 balloon mollies
4 fancy guppies 1 male 3 female
3 tux platys and one fry
2 micky mouse platys one white one red
1 pleco
1 African dwarf frogs
1 firebelly newt

Temp at 78

See less See more
#2 ·
something must be wrong that I can not figure out because I lost the male fancy guppy this morning... I have no clue why all this is happening it all started when I brought home the 3 balloon mollies but the 2 that are still alove look healthy nothing looks worng at all and even the one that did die looked healthy nothing seemed worng with him either.

#3 ·
Probably some type of bacterial infection that came with the new fish. Got the same problem about a year ago. The fish would all of a sudden start looking pale and then get these little bleeding spots and then they would die.
My advice would be to change fishshops if this continues to happen. Petshops especially are disease breeding grounds and because fish are stressed get sick easy.
You can try various medications but i have not had any luck with them and just had to let the disease run its course in the tank and after that not buy new fish from a bad place.
Salt seems to keep fishy more resistant to problems, if your fish likes that type of thing.
Sorry for the loss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.