Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Personality quirk? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/personality-quirk-16222/)

kender42 07-13-2008 06:50 PM

Personality quirk?

I have one crowntail goldfish in a ten gallon (yes I know it's too small but it's as big as I can go plus I just bought it so there's no way I'm getting a bigger tank) with a topfin power filter. But I'm not sure if my fish is completely healthy. He likes to "play dead". He likes to float sideways without moving under the filter. Is that just a personality quirk or is he sick? I'm kind of a noob and I expected goldfish to be simple but you all proved me wrong. BTW I lost the reciept so I'm not taking my fish back. I like him too much. He's fun. He even likes music. Anyway I hope you're not mad at me! :wink: Thanx! :D

Kender

okiemavis 07-13-2008 09:14 PM

Well, that sounds like he's not doing too well to me. What are your water parameters?

kender42 07-13-2008 11:17 PM

I don't actually know. I'll see if I can get a test kit tomorrow. What kind would you recommend?

kender42 07-15-2008 10:01 AM

Ok so I got a test kit with these little strips and tested the water. As far as I can tell, all the levels are normal. I don't think it's the water. What's the next hypothesis?

dr heckle 07-22-2008 03:54 AM

sounds like a swim bladder disorder to me [/b]

Amphitrite 07-22-2008 04:20 AM

I wouldn't trust the test strips as they tend to be inaccurate. You'd be better off getting a liquid test kit which tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate - API are a good brand and widely available.

You said that your water perameters were 'fine'. Could you please post the exact readings?

What size is the crowntail at the moment, and how long have you had him in the tank for? At the end of the day, you're not going to be able to keep a crowntail in a tank that size and expect him to lead a happy and healthy life I'm afraid. These fish are huge waste producers and will pollute the water in a tank that size extremely quickly.

Anyway, if you could post your exact water readings that would help :)

1077 07-22-2008 05:10 AM

If You cannot afford a larger tank for your pet at the moment , Even a large plastic tub would be more comfortable for your fish. You could put a filter in it and a small heater which may not be needed in the summer but might be needed in the winter. The API liqid test kit for freshwater is a good test kit and easy to use. It will allow you to test for harmful chemicals in the water that are not good for your fish. You also might look at getting a good dechlorinator such as PRIME, or AMQUEL+. This will allow you to treat the new water you add to your aquarium or bowl, tub, etc. You should change ten to twenty percent of the water each week with new water that has been treated with the dechlorinator. If the ammonia levels are high in your pets water he or she will perish (die) . There are plenty of people here who will help you. But do try and provide as much information as possible. :)