Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Rainbow and Bala Shark food. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/rainbow-bala-shark-food-16213/)

paytheplayer 07-13-2008 03:17 PM

Rainbow and Bala Shark food.

I was wondering what the best foods to feed my Bala and Rainbow shark were. I have a community tank, with 2 dojo loaches, rock shrimp, ghost shrimp, 3 zebra danios, 3 neon tetras, strawberry and blue berry tetra, dwarf frog, oto, and pleco. I usually feed them flakes, and I drop shrimp in from time to time. I was just wondering if I should maybe give them some lettuce, or bloodworms? Thanks

Pasfur 07-13-2008 06:17 PM

Re: Rainbow and Bala Shark food.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paytheplayer
I was wondering what the best foods to feed my Bala and Rainbow shark were. I have a community tank, with 2 dojo loaches, rock shrimp, ghost shrimp, 3 zebra danios, 3 neon tetras, strawberry and blue berry tetra, dwarf frog, oto, and pleco. I usually feed them flakes, and I drop shrimp in from time to time. I was just wondering if I should maybe give them some lettuce, or bloodworms? Thanks

Your feeding routine is not an issue. However, your fish selections are very poor and will cause huge problems in the near future. Let me elaborate...

The Bala shark grows to 14 inches and grows extremely fast. It need a minimum tank length of 6 feet. I assume your system is smaller than this, based on your question and an assumption of experience level. If i am wrong, then even better.

The Pleco also grows extremely large and is a colder water fish than your community. To make things worse, Pleco's are not efficient algae eaters due to the massive waste the create on the system. The waste directly contributes to phosphate buildup, which only increases algae growth. You should remove your Pleco immediately. Further more, depending on the exact species you have, it may excrete a painful venom threw its dorsal fins, so handle it carefully. Replace your pleco with additional Ottocinclus Catfish. One Otto per 5 gallons usually is enough.

paytheplayer 07-13-2008 06:26 PM

My tank is 120 gallons and is 6 feet in length. The pleco is a dwarf pleco, and i think only grows to be 4-5 inches. I dont think its venomous, because i had one in my piranha tank, and they ate him after 3 months, but they are doing well.

I have an ottocinclus in there as well, i just thought that the pleco could do well.

beweeb 07-16-2008 02:49 PM

i dont realy see see much wrong the balas might eat the neons and you should try to get a bigger school of neons and zebras but thats about it
to answer your question blood worms should be fine you dont have to feed them but the fish usually like them i dont know about the lettuce
but flakes and maybe shrimp pellets are fine for a main diet

paytheplayer 07-17-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beweeb
i dont realy see see much wrong the balas might eat the neons and you should try to get a bigger school of neons and zebras but thats about it
to answer your question blood worms should be fine you dont have to feed them but the fish usually like them i dont know about the lettuce
but flakes and maybe shrimp pellets are fine for a main diet

Thank you. Yeah I did some research and I think Im gonna buy a school of cardinals instead of neons. I know they are more expensive but I hear nothing but better things than the neons. I just bought a few more zebras and glowlights to make them happier also.

I cut the bloodworm in half, and put it in. Everything in the tank likes it except for the rainbow shark. He just stays away and avoids the feeding. Even when I put flakes in it's like he doesn't care. I'll probably try your shrimp pellet idea, and a piece of lettuce.