Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   HELP - Sick Betta (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-sick-betta-16191/)

Donna M. Kinney 07-12-2008 08:16 AM

HELP - Sick Betta

Hi,
I have a male Betta in a 2.5 gal. tank with filtration - no heater. Water temp is 78 degrees and water tests fine to sustain Bettas. I do have a green algae problem that keeps coming back. My Betta has been laying on the bottom - sometimes sideways with his body curved. Sometimes he hides under the bridge. Comes up for air occasionally but doesn't seem to be eating. There are no white spots, fungus or raised scales. His color isn't nearly the vibrant blue as it was when we first got him a couple of months ago. When I look at him through the light, I can see small dark elongated things on his insides. Are these worms? It also looks like he has bumps on him. Does anyone know what the problem is, if it's treatabel and if so, what do I do. Please HELP, ASAP. I can't bear to watch him suffer like this.

SheyFirestar 07-12-2008 09:15 AM

when was the last time you did a water change. how often do you do them and how much do you remove when you are doing them. these will help other diagnose your problem.

JouteiMike 07-12-2008 07:23 PM

"water tests fine to sustain Bettas."

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What are you exact results for the tests of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? I too am wondering when your last water change was, and how often you do them.

Donna M. Kinney 07-13-2008 06:31 PM

Help - Sick Betta

We took samples of the water to a fish store - from the tank and from the water sitting on the counter that i used to switch the water and they said both samples were fine for Bettas, including ammonia count. When I tested on my own with the dip strips the readings were consistantly the following: Nitrate 0 Nitrate 0, Total hardness - soft 75; total chlorine - 0; Total alkalinity - 80 or 120 can't remember; PH - 6.8. I was changing the water - 1/3 to 1/2 tank once a week. Anyway, my fish died last night and I noticed upon closer observation, that he had a cottony type substance coming out of his gills. I have given up and threw the tank and all away because we had trouble with other fish in there - guppies and Neons. One of the original guppies that I put in that tank was pecking the other fish and I put him in a seperate bowl, which he has been thriving in for almost a year. My husband thinks maybe there was something wrong with the tank itself. I don't know. Totally sad and frustrated :(

Little-Fizz 07-14-2008 02:56 AM

Sorry to hear about your fish :(

Maybe you should try getting a bigger tank? believe it or not, but bigger tanks are MUCH easier to maintain then bowls! Maybe you'll have better luck with a bigger one, and your future betta would be able to spread his fins more.

Fish can be frustrating. But if you do your homework, it's totally worth it. You just have to learn from your mistakes :) I wish you the best of luck if you decide to have future fish!!