Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Moving & Need Advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/moving-need-advice-161857/)

CodyL1121 04-24-2013 09:23 PM

Moving & Need Advice

OK, so I am moving to a house about 5 minutes from where I live now and having a hard time figuring out what to do. I bought a 1 gallon tank today thinking that would be ok but my fish keeping instincts clicked in. Here is what fish I currently have.

11 Platy Fry (Not newborn a few months old, but still small)
1 Adult Platy
4 Neons
1 Pleco
1 Guppy

My original plan was:
1. Net the fish out and put them into a 1 gallon.
2. Siphon 3/4 of the water into a few buckets to hold their tank water.
3. Carry the buckets of tank water to the car
4. Carry the tank with 1/4 of water, substrate, plants, decorations to the car carefully.
5. Carry and hold the fish as a passenger.
6. Re-siphon tank water back in
7. Put fish back in tank.

This will take at least 45 minutes and maybe 60 minutes at the most. Will all of these fish be ok in a 1 gallon tank for an hour at the most? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

MoneyMitch 04-24-2013 09:39 PM

in the past when ive moved established tanks I went to the lfs and explained the situation, then I offered to buy fish bags of various sizes to keep each species separate. then when I get the fish baged up I throw them in a cooler and then take the substreate out and throw it in a bucket drain the tank and move everything. once I have the tank with substrate in and new water I then reaclimate the fish and wath water params. hasn't failed me yet.

jentralala 04-24-2013 10:51 PM

I'd just use 5 gallon buckets with a lid to transport/hold them in.

Do you have live plants or any decorations? I'd place them in the buckets also, to help control waste.

CodyL1121 04-24-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentralala (Post 1866385)

Do you have live plants or any decorations? I'd place them in the buckets also, to help control waste.

Something maybe like this?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...8b974a_300.jpg

I feel like they would slosh around in there. Should I fill it 3/4 of the way and poke holes in it? Also, I'm afraid to move anything because I have fluorite substrate which gets REALLYY cloudy when messed with.

JDM 04-26-2013 09:10 AM

Bags are the way to go, species per bag. This way there is no sloshing. The cooler works great.

I wouldn't transfer all the water, what you want is the substrate to stay damp but just start with fresh water. Bring the tank up to at least the same temp as the bags are at then float them all in the bags until temp is balanced, poke a few holes in the bags to let the water transfer back and forth and later just let them loose.

If you were going to replace your substrate then the pails would best to keep the fish in while you do the tank reno... but moving and redoing the tank may be a bit much for a day.

Jeff.

jaysee 04-26-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jentralala (Post 1866385)

Agreed. When I have moved short distances, I've kept the fish in the tank with a minimal amount of water (wen I had small tanks). While this worked okay, it's really much easier to just put everything in a 5 gallon bucket, with a lid. I've moved with fish tanks 5 times - buckets are the way to go.

Byron 04-26-2013 03:38 PM

If the established tank is the 10g in your Log, you can move it with the substrate left in, but drain out all water down to the substrate, and remove any rock (which might shift and hit the glass). Do not lift the tank on its own, i.e, by the frame. I have moved up to a 29g around my fish room by having the tank on a sheet of plywood or similar so I carry the "platform" and there is no chance of the tank frame being twisted. That is what can break the silicone seal, or crack the glass, esp with weight in the tank.

Put the fish into sufficient bags. A pail with a tight fitting lid can work. I used bags when I moved because it seemed easier than pails for 250+ fish.

Byron.

MoneyMitch 04-26-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1882545)
If the established tank is the 10g in your Log, you can move it with the substrate left in, but drain out all water down to the substrate, and remove any rock (which might shift and hit the glass). Do not lift the tank on its own, i.e, by the frame. I have moved up to a 29g around my fish room by having the tank on a sheet of plywood or similar so I carry the "platform" and there is no chance of the tank frame being twisted. That is what can break the silicone seal, or crack the glass, esp with weight in the tank.

Put the fish into sufficient bags. A pail with a tight fitting lid can work. I used bags when I moved because it seemed easier than pails for 250+ fish.

Byron.

:shock: