Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Good Idea or bad? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/good-idea-bad-16185/)

funnyfish 07-12-2008 02:18 AM

Good Idea or bad?

So far I have seemed to get alot of good advice and opinions here so I am asking again I have a 55 gallon with 1 firebelly newt, 1 african drawf frog, 4 tux platys, 4 fancy guppies, 1 pleco and have added 1 white MM platy 1 red MM platy and 3 Buenos Aires tetras ( the 3 amigos ) I wanted to know if I can add Dwarf Gourami's I would like to add 1 powder blue, 1 red/orange one and one of the blue stripped ones.... I am not planning to do thsis for another week or 2 so eveyone can settle but is this ok? This would be the end no more after the last add....

iamntbatman 07-12-2008 02:48 AM

I don't think I would add that many dwarf gouramis, even if you're getting different color variants. They're still the same species of fish and the males (which represent the vast majority of dwarf gouramis sold) can get really aggressive towards one another. If you want more than one, I'd suggest a more peaceful gourami such as the honey or sparkling gourami.

funnyfish 07-12-2008 02:53 AM

Thank you very much we were told they needed to "school" and since we have had bad advice at the LFS thats what I always ask here before we make it final... So thank you

JumpingMolly 07-16-2008 07:00 AM

In a tank that size I don't think you're going to have any problems adding those. Maybe if it were
getting crowded they would go helter skelter but notsomuch in a 55g tank.

Paige 08-08-2008 12:10 AM

I agree but I also disagree, I have two dwarf gourami's myself anf I bought two because I heard at the store that they were best if kept with more than one, go figure!! haha but they were fine for the first couple weeks they would swim together back and forth across the tank and now they dislike each other and defend their own territory (one has the back right and the other has the back left of my 55) so they stay pretty far apart and when they do come in contact or close vicinity they will chase the other away (depending on who goes into whos territory). So I would say you should only get one, but at the most two. Unless you are planning to densly plant your tank then you should be able to keep them without much chasing...

girlofgod 08-08-2008 02:23 AM

i agree with the batman. stay away from the more agressive types, and pick a honey/sparkling gourami. :) ihad the type of gourami you want before and they were very territorial, even with all my other fish! he would nip and bite and send them all into hiding.even my angel that was twice as big as him. it would most likely disturb the peace in your otherwise peaceful aquarium. i wouldnt risk it.

but thats just me. 8)

onefish2fish 08-08-2008 04:27 AM

ummm i could be totally wrong here but isnt a fire belly newt actually a fire belly salamander? ( or is it the same thing? ) because if its the fire belly salamander i had one years ago ( RIP RedDog, bless his sole ) and he wouldnt accept any food and ended up eating his back leg and ultimately starving to death. anyways they need dry land and preferably a basking light even tho most of their time spent is aqautic.
and im shocked your keeping your african dwarf frog alive with all of those fish in the tank ( unless your frogs like a week or 2 old ) because usually they end up starving to death due to the fish eating all the food before the frogs get a chance to realize its there. just some things to consider.