Live Rock Lighting?
I just put my live rock in... how much lighting does it require, how long should I leave the fluorescents on, etc?
I have a 29 FOWLR tank... currently just the rock in there, and I have no plans to put corals in there... I am just using the hood that came with the tank, nothing spectacular...
Live rock doesn't need lighting unless you want to retain the color. The bacteria on the rock and the critters that live inside don't require any lights.
Leaving the lights on is the worst thing you can do. My lfs told me it was ok, untill 2 weeks later when my tank was covered in green algae. I let my new 90 gal cycle with lights off for 6 weeks untill nitrates where down to 5ppm. No problems at all. standard brown algae, and cleanup crew grazed through it overnight. Patience is key, ask a spouse or kid or friend to verify your test results before you say your assumption. We tend to lye to ourselves on levels to make us feel better on adding stock. Good Luck!
Your fish won't care about the lights. when you begin with coral that's when your will start worrying about your lights.
Ya, live rock doesnt require any light at all, only to encourage the growth or beneficial algae, such as, macro algaes and coraline algae (which is the attractive purple algae) but the coraline algae doesn't exactly need light to grown. If you're not going to be keeping corals in the tank then you won't exactly have to put any special lights on the tank, but if you were planning to then look into some nice saltwater lighting systems. Then if you put lights on the tank you might just be encouraging the unsightly algae like green and brown algae.
So live rock does not need light.
I was going to start a thread about this but this thread answered everything!
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2