Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   I just bought a ivory mystery snail today... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/i-just-bought-ivory-mystery-snail-16123/)

wen4003 07-09-2008 08:41 PM

I just bought a ivory mystery snail today...

I'm looking to find out the best types of food to feed it. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Wen

jeaninel 07-09-2008 11:06 PM

When I had mine I fed them zucchini, cucumber, romaine lettuce, algae wafers and occasionally I threw in a calcium pill to keep their shell healthy. They'll also scavenge the bottom for any leftover fish food and algae.

wen4003 07-10-2008 11:04 AM

I'm a novice a this, so please excuse my ignorance at this next question. After slicing the vegetables, did you cut them into smaller pieces to make it easier for the snail and/or other fish to them?

Thanks for your help.

Wen

jeaninel 07-10-2008 11:24 AM

No, I just left it in a round slice. But I did put it in a cup of water and microwave for about 30 seconds to soften it up. I use a veggie clip which you can get at the fish store. It has a suction cup on it so you can clip the veggies to it and stick in on the inside of your aquarium near the bottom of the tank. Or you can use a weight on it to make it sink. Take any leftovers out of the tank after about 12 hours so it doesn't foul your water.

wen4003 07-10-2008 09:27 PM

Thanks for your time, you've been a great help with this!! :D

Wen

wen4003 07-18-2008 08:08 PM

not eating food suggestions

I have tried giving my snail some of the food suggestions given to me, but it isn't taking any of them. It seems to be doing okay physically - moving around the tank and scavenging for leftover food at the bottom of the tank. So I'm wondering if he/she is okay and just leave it be or if there is anything else I should be doing? The fish LOVE the algae wafers, by the way. I'm just not sure what to do. Suggestions anyone?

Thanks.

~Wen

Little-Fizz 07-19-2008 01:19 AM

He'll get around to eating it when he wants too. I know fish are little pigs huh? :wink: I used to get so mad when they stole my snails wafer, lol.

Congrats!!! Mystery snails are the coolest pets ever, I used to get crushed up algae wafer or fish flakes on my finger tip and my snail would eat it right off my finger.

My only suggestion is enjoy your new amigo :D He'll definitely be an interesting and fun experience for you!

wen4003 07-19-2008 03:02 PM

reassurance

Thanks for reassuring me that he'll eat when he's good and ready. Never thought to try to get him to eat it from my finger. But I really enjoy watching him, I'm so glad that I got him.

Thanks again.

~Wen