Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   pH problems PLEASE help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ph-problems-please-help-16076/)

Kim 07-07-2008 08:22 PM

pH problems PLEASE help

Does anyone know any reason why the pH of tap water would change after the water has sat out for a while? I have been having trouble with high pH in my betta's tank and have finally found out that it is my water that is causing the pH to go up. Out of the tap my water is 6.4 and it rises to 7 in about 8 hours. When I discovered the problem the water in my tank was all the way up to 7.7! Will a regular neutralizer work with this? Does anyone know what could cause this, as it is really messing with the water parameters in both my tank and my brother's.

PS: My water comes from a well and has no additional additives.

Thank you to anyone who has any suggestions. They are really appreciated at this point!

aquakid 07-08-2008 07:54 AM

i don't think it's the water it may be the gravel or rocks.
also standard neutralizer will work

Tyyrlym 07-08-2008 08:14 AM

What kind of substrate do you use? The stuff that covers the bottom? Where did you get it and how did you prepare it before it went in the tank.

What kind of rocks do you have in there and where did you find them and how did you prepare them?

Kim 07-08-2008 11:52 AM

I just used the colorful gravel that you can buy at any fish store. Before it went in my tank it was in a 55 gallon tank that we had. The water in that tank was always acidic. Yesterday I took some gravel out of the tank and put it in a cup. I then took another identical cup and filled it with plain tap water. The pH of my tap water is 6.4 out of the faucet. After about 8 hours, the water in both cups had risen to 7.0. I do not have any other rocks and the gravel was thoroughy cleaned with a weak solution of bleach and water and then rinsed SOOO many times before I put it in the tank. The only other things in the tank are silk plants, a heater, the filter, and a thermometer. What I found out is that regardless of what is in it, the pH of the water will rise after it has been sitting out. Wierd. Thank you.

Tyyrlym 07-08-2008 12:00 PM

Well my first thought was that you'd used coral sand for a substrate or maybe put a big sedimentary rock in the tank that was throwing off your pH. If the water goes up all by its own you're going to need someone more in tune with this than I am, I've heard of it going down over time if left out but not up.

Has the pH in the tank stabilized or is it continuing to climb?

Kim 07-08-2008 05:34 PM

It seems to stop at around 7.6, but I do 25% weekly water changes so it has not been left alone for more than a week. I have some water out that I am testing every day to see what it will do. I put it out yesterday morning and the pH was 6.4, this afternoon it is up to 7.4. This is concerning me because my betta fish seems to be affected by the high pH. He does not blow bubble nests if it rises. Thank you for your time.

okiemavis 07-08-2008 05:43 PM

7.4-7.6 should be perfectly fine for a domestically raised betta. What's effecting him is probably the rapid swings in ph. I'd recommend aging all your water for a day or two, which will give it a chance to stabilize. Generally chemicals that change ph are more trouble than they are worth, and your pH is well within the safe range for a betta. Stability is the most important thing for your betta.

dolphinsrok 07-09-2008 02:37 PM

ph

Try regular ro water. I use Publix (local supermarket) purified water which is ro (reverse osmosis). Do you have any drift wood in the tank?? I think drift wood lowers ph. I know for a fact crushed coral will raise that ph pretty high.[/u]

Trio123 07-09-2008 03:59 PM

Just to reassure you, I have a betta that I have had for a year and a half and he is in 7.4 pH. I think ageing the water is probably the easiest and safest.

pH Down is :twisted: stay away from it! I tried to lower my pH with it and my tank went from 7.4 to 7.2 then over night it dropped to 6.4. It seems to just kill your waters ablity to buffer pH swings.

Kim 07-10-2008 09:26 PM

Thanks everyone. Yeah, it was probably the changes in the pH that caused him to get stressed out. I tried some neutralizer stuff...........it didn't work at all. So, I am just going to age the water and see what happens. Hopefully he will be happy again in no time.