Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Bristlenose plecs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/bristlenose-plecs-160425/)

jeffro79 04-23-2013 12:06 PM

Bristlenose plecs

Hello. Please could somebody advise me on the success I would get for using bristlenoses to remove algae? Or is it a sales pitch from the pet shop that these are the fishkeepers answer to algae control? Thanks

jaysee 04-23-2013 01:07 PM

Welcome to the forum

Yes, BN plecos eat algae. However, they do not eat all types of algae. In a small tank, a nerite snail or two is a better choice. That being said, some forms of algae you will have to take care of yourself. It is not a good idea to get a fish in order to take care of a problem. Get a BN because you want one, not because you have algae to get rid of.

jeffro79 04-23-2013 02:23 PM

Thanks Jaysee. Yeah I wouldn't buy one purely for the algae control I was curious as the guys at the local pet store seem to try sell you these plecs when algae gets mentioned. I'm running a Juwel 180 with twin lights, since I trimmed all my live plants down I think I'm getting too much light to the bottom of the tank as strands of algae is growing on the odd decorations I have in there.

ZivaD 04-23-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro79 (Post 1847761)
Thanks Jaysee. Yeah I wouldn't buy one purely for the algae control I was curious as the guys at the local pet store seem to try sell you these plecs when algae gets mentioned. I'm running a Juwel 180 with twin lights, since I trimmed all my live plants down I think I'm getting too much light to the bottom of the tank as strands of algae is growing on the odd decorations I have in there.

By "strands" are you meaning algae that grows up and away from the surfaces in a string fashion?

MoneyMitch 04-23-2013 02:57 PM

speicies as a means to control algae generally isn't a good idea, sounds more like they are just trying to move some fish to me.

jeffro79 04-23-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZivaD (Post 1847977)
By "strands" are you meaning algae that grows up and away from the surfaces in a string fashion?

Hello. Yeah some of the gravel has tuffs of black fur on and then there's long darkish hairs of algae that's appeared growing up from things.

jeffro79 04-23-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1848193)
speicies as a means to control algae generally isn't a good idea, sounds more like they are just trying to move some fish to me.

Thanks for the reply. I think you might have a valid point.

jaysee 04-23-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro79 (Post 1848937)
Hello. Yeah some of the gravel has tuffs of black fur on and then there's long darkish hairs of algae that's appeared growing up from things.

Black fur is black beard algae - Plecos won't touch it. I would just remove the gravel with the BBA growing on it.

jeffro79 04-24-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1849809)
Black fur is black beard algae - Plecos won't touch it. I would just remove the gravel with the BBA growing on it.

Ive had a look at some google images of the black fur you mention and i think you're right. This looks just like the problem i have started having. Thanks for the info.

jaysee 04-24-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro79 (Post 1857841)
Ive had a look at some google images of the black fur you mention and i think you're right. This looks just like the problem i have started having. Thanks for the info.

It's REALLY hard to get off of things. I have it on some decor. I kinda like the look on structure pieces - gives it a more natural look in my opinion.