Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   questions on new tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/questions-new-tank-16032/)

ollecram 07-06-2008 12:30 PM

questions on new tank

hello all. i was wondering if i could house i bolivian ram with some mickey mouse platy's and maybe a few bottom dwelling cories. i was thinking 5 mickey mouse (3 female and 2 male) 1 Bolivian ram and 3 cories. oh i almost forgot about describing my tank. i have a 20 gallon long with a marineland penguin biowheel filter. im cycling my tank and a two weeks ago one of my friends gave me his dwarf gourami because his mom was making him get rid of it. His mom tried to take it out of his tank, but when she did she dropped it on the side of the bucket. so my friend secretly gave "oscar" to me. i agreed to have him in my tank because even though i was cycling, i didnt want him to die. upon inspection a couple of hours after he was in my tank i found that on his left side he had a indentation and on his right side it was sticking out in the same shape that the left one was pushed in. i figured he wad broken a couple of ribs or bones and hoped for the best. he didnt eat that much and swam very little. in two weeks, when i arrived home, i found him dead and he had marks on his body where he was dropped. sad story. :(
now i want to get fish in a bit and i was wondering what would be compatible or would look nice with a Bolivian ram. i also want to plant my tank but im gonna decide on that later. i still need info on that. thanks
-ollecram

okiemavis 07-06-2008 12:44 PM

The platies should work just fine with the ram. Keep in mind that the ram will eat just about any fry the platies give birth to, but I think this is a good thing because you won't have to deal with the fry overstocking the tank or getting rid of the grown fry.

Cories should work as well, but you'll want at least 6. The ram will probably pick on them a tad if they get in his space, so you'll want enough cories that they'll feel safe anyway. Also, make sure you don't have a gravel bottom if you have cories.

ollecram 07-06-2008 12:56 PM

oh i have gravel but its not sharp by a y means. its a little bumpy though. on the other hand, i don't know what "sharp" to cories. Im conflicted there. the gravel is small. a little smaller than the size of a pea. is this ok or should i get something else? also, do i need special lights and equipment for a planted tank?

okiemavis 07-06-2008 01:49 PM

Are they smooth "river rocks" or just the standard gravel? I found the average gravel to be way too sharp but the pea gravel/river rocks should be fine.

You'll need proper lighting for a planted tank. You may or may not want fertilizers and such but lighting is the main thing.

ollecram 07-06-2008 05:00 PM

ok. i dont wanna risk it so are there any other bottom dwellers i could get?

okiemavis 07-07-2008 06:38 PM

There are plenty. Plecos are fantastic, provided you get one that stays small enough for your tank (such as bristlenoses). Otos would work as would farlowella catfish. Synodontis nigriventris are very interesting fish- they're essentially the same in behavior and care to cories except they swim upside down!