Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   baby fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/baby-fish-1603/)

^angel^ 12-01-2006 11:02 PM

baby fish

i would like to have baby fish..how many females per males should i have to promote breeding? are there any special conditions that i should have? thanks in advance

flatcam1 12-01-2006 11:04 PM

What kind of fish are we talking about here?
that way, we will know how to help you better. :D

^angel^ 12-01-2006 11:09 PM

i have some platies and i love babies. so i thought i would try to have some babies. thanks!

butterbean 3 12-01-2006 11:14 PM

:wave: Oh for platys if you have a male and female you'll have babies :lol: You should really try to have ad least 3 or 4 females for every male for the sake of your females the males will run them to death otherwise.

^angel^ 12-01-2006 11:17 PM

:shock: my male will kill my female?? thats not good. i have had my male and one female in tank together for a month about. how long does it take to have babies? you think i should buy more females?thanks!

butterbean 3 12-01-2006 11:29 PM

No he won't kill her he will just be after her all the time :lol: if you have 3 or 4 females she will get some rest. With platys & guppies the male stays- follows the female all the time

It depends on the size of your platys but it won't take to long, sometimes people don't know there are babies until they get a little bigger and show up for dinner. They are really cute just make sure to have some plants and something like grass low to the ground and thick for the babies to hide in. it can be plastic.

^angel^ 12-01-2006 11:34 PM

Ok. Thanks for warning me. I will try to get some more so my poor female can rest. =)

butterbean 3 12-01-2006 11:37 PM

sorry I added to the post I didn't make a new one :oops:

girlofgod 12-01-2006 11:42 PM

i read somewhere that a livebearers birth cycle lasts about 28 days. so on average you COULD have babies every month. :shock: i agree with BB that you should have AT LEAST a ratio of 1:2, male to female. some guppies are very prolific and imo are easier to breed naturally. ive been tryin to get my platies to have babies and i separated my female from the main tank thinking she was due but she hasnt had any yet. heres hoping! :lol: Good luck!

bri

butterbean 3 12-01-2006 11:49 PM

I've never had guppies but I couldn't get my platys to stop, I even got my blue gourami thinking he would take care of the problem :lol: no go finely had to get rid of all my females and now only have 1 male. At one point I think I had like 40 or 50 little babies of different sizes :shock: it was not a good thing... :frustrated: