Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Is there a way to cool water? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/there-way-cool-water-159905/)

Vpaw 04-22-2013 08:33 PM

Is there a way to cool water?
 
My dad is very cheap so, he keeps the house at 79 degrees. Or more... And in Phoenix, the desert, it's pretty hot! I can't open the wi Dow, it'll make it hotter! Well all my fish tanks are at 80 degrees. This is fine with the tropical fish, but my goldfish. Poor goldfish! They are in a 29 gallon and is there any way to cool their water down?!


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jaysee 04-22-2013 08:51 PM

Welcome to the forum

Did he just recently start keeping the house warm? Otherwise, one might ask why you got goldfish.

I don't think that it's that big a deal. I assume the temp is lower in the winter?

You can have a fan blowing over the surface of the water to cool it down. Too, taking the top off will help.

Sanguinefox 04-22-2013 08:54 PM

Agreed with the taking the top of. Just be wary that your evaporation rates will go up. It does help your tank release a lot of heat instead of holding it in.

Chesh 04-22-2013 09:03 PM

Welcome to TFK!

I agree with the others on cooling the tank, and wanted to add that though it seems to be a bit of a debatable topic, fancy goldfish have been shown to do well in temperatures in the mid to high seventies. I don't keep goldies, personally, but I have done a fair amount of research into their care recently. . . I think you'll be okay as long as the temps stay where they are.

Vpaw 04-22-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1840161)
Welcome to the forum

Did he just recently start keeping the house warm? Otherwise, one might ask why you got goldfish.

I don't think that it's that big a deal. I assume the temp is lower in the winter?

You can have a fan blowing over the surface of the water to cool it down. Too, taking the top off will help.

Ok, I'll try that, yes it's MUCH colder in the winter! My dad has always done this, but I got the goldfish 7 years ago as a present from my brothers, who assumed they'd live a week lol. I didn't know anything about them 7 years ago but now I think I'm pretty well educated.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Vpaw 04-22-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesherca (Post 1840393)
Welcome to TFK!

I agree with the others on cooling the tank, and wanted to add that though it seems to be a bit of a debatable topic, fancy goldfish have been shown to do well in temperatures in the mid to high seventies. I don't keep goldies, personally, but I have done a fair amount of research into their care recently. . . I think you'll be okay as long as the temps stay where they are.

That's good to know. They won't get higher than 80, unless our air conditioning breaks.. Which it hopefully won't! It's new now :) well great to know that fancy goldfish would be fine, lol I have comet goldfish :) should have added that.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jaysee 04-22-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vpaw (Post 1840433)
Ok, I'll try that, yes it's MUCH colder in the winter! My dad has always done this, but I got the goldfish 7 years ago as a present from my brothers, who assumed they'd live a week lol. I didn't know anything about them 7 years ago but now I think I'm pretty well educated.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

The seasonal temperature changes are good. Sounds like things are going fine - I wouldn't fix what's not broke. Any particular reason why you are concerned about it now?

Vpaw 04-22-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1840553)
The seasonal temperature changes are good. Sounds like things are going fine - I wouldn't fix what's not broke. Any particular reason why you are concerned about it now?

Well it's just that gold,fish at cold water fish so I thought it would be better to be I. Cold water haha. I'm also trying everything I can to make moving tanks easier because I recently got them their 29 gallon. It feels so hot I. My room to me and my poor fish... I just don't know how that's going.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

MoneyMitch 04-23-2013 03:40 PM

time will tell

Rip 04-23-2013 03:43 PM

you can take a 1 liter bottle, fill it 2/3 full of water, freeze it, and then float it in your tank. as it thaws, it will cool the surrounding tank water.

i also live in phoenix, and in the summer it sucks being a fish tank owner. doing water changes takes a lot more ingenuity. for one, the water temp out of the tap can reach 85-90 degrees on the cold setting, much too warm to add to the tank, which is around 79-81 in the summer already. so i used to use the frozen bottle method to cool my new water, before adding it to the tank. but that could take 20-30 minutes for each 5 gallon bucket. then last year, i got a little smarter, and just started refrigerating 2-3 gallons of tap water the night before i was to do water changes. then the next day, i mix the right amount of warm tap water, with the 40 degree refrigerator water, to make my 79 degree tank water.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2