Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Scarlet badis and company tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/scarlet-badis-company-tank-159841/)

JDM 04-22-2013 06:28 PM

Scarlet badis and company tank

Seemingly the staff don't want to decide on the fish for the office tank.... so it ends up being my choice anyway.

I looked at the scarlet badis early on but wondered if it would work with other possible fish... I think the mix might be OK.

Other fish would be a few oto catfish and a small group of whiptail catfish with as many badis as may fit in a well planted tank with an assortment of small driftwood pieces. I was considering shrimp as well but not sure about that. Water parameters are suitable for all.

Does anyone have any experience with these? For some reason I think they may be fussy eaters and I won't be checking or feeding 7 days a week... It is work after all.

Edit: oops, I meant to put this in the fish section.:oops:

Jeff.

jentralala 04-22-2013 06:42 PM

I know Boredomb has a few of these guys, he talks about them a bit in his thread.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...8/#post1836673

I'm pretty sure the only food they accepted was live blackworms.

ao 04-23-2013 12:25 PM

lovely little fish. my friend just got some for his nano tank ^_^
they are also currently taking black worms
wont touch pellets at all

Byron 04-23-2013 07:21 PM

Yes, a beauty of a fish, but live foods are mandatory. If lucky, they may get weaned onto frozen bloodworms and daphnia; mine ate at the frozen bloodworms, sort of, but slowly wasted away.

If you want a better small red fish, look at the rasbora dwarfs in Boraras. A group of 15 in a planted 10g would be nice. I've had three of the six species, and they did fine on prepared foods (flake and micro pellet). Another is the Ember Tetra, a group of 9-12.

Byron.

JDM 04-23-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1851297)
Yes, a beauty of a fish, but live foods are mandatory. If lucky, they may get weaned onto frozen bloodworms and daphnia; mine ate at the frozen bloodworms, sort of, but slowly wasted away.

That was the impression I was left with about these guys. I guess I'll pass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1851297)
If you want a better small red fish, look at the rasbora dwarfs in Boraras. A group of 15 in a planted 10g would be nice. I've had three of the six species, and they did fine on prepared foods (flake and micro pellet). Another is the Ember Tetra, a group of 9-12.

Byron.

I looked at the dwarf Rasbora early on but even for the town water these fish are outside the hardness and pH range I can supply. Red wasn't a specific goal.

I went through every single profile to come up with a handful of fish suited for the water and tank (9dGH, pH 7.6 20 gallon) as well as the care level that I can supply with it not being a home tank. 5 tetras, oto's, couple of Cory and the whiptails cats were about the species range I ended up with.... that skipped some that may not be colourful enough as there was a consensus that there had to be colour.

I did add one today, the silvertip tetra that I may look closer at. I liked the lemon tetra but this one fits better... of course if I can find them. If I didn't have the Betta these would suit my home tank nicely. Can a tetra mix well with cherry barb ? These would be a nice contrast fish to the red barbs.

Jeff.

Byron 04-23-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1851769)
That was the impression I was left with about these guys. I guess I'll pass.

I looked at the dwarf Rasbora early on but even for the town water these fish are outside the hardness and pH range I can supply. Red wasn't a specific goal.

I went through every single profile to come up with a handful of fish suited for the water and tank (9dGH, pH 7.6 20 gallon) as well as the care level that I can supply with it not being a home tank. 5 tetras, oto's, couple of Cory and the whiptails cats were about the species range I ended up with.... that skipped some that may not be colourful enough as there was a consensus that there had to be colour.

I did add one today, the silvertip tetra that I may look closer at. I liked the lemon tetra but this one fits better... of course if I can find them. If I didn't have the Betta these would suit my home tank nicely. Can a tetra mix well with cherry barb ? These would be a nice contrast fish to the red barbs.

Jeff.

If the GH is 9 dGH, that will suite quite a number of fish that need soft water, or water on the soft side. My tanks are at 5 and 6 dGH with all wild caught soft water fish.