Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
- - Betta needs help ASAP have tried everything I can think of!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/betta-needs-help-asap-have-tried-15976/)
Betta needs help ASAP have tried everything I can think of!!
It all started with a little bit of fungus on her face. I tried to treat with aquarium salt, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agents. By the next week it had spread to her body about half way down and her lips had started to dissolve. I removed her to a different tank with new and fresh water. I treated with a new and stronger anti-fungal. Today she has developed major popeye. If anyone has seen this before and/or has a suggestion about what I can do, I would appreciate it. I don't want her to die! :-(
Could you read the link below and give us the information it asks for?
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 20g long
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? fresh
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? 5 months
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) four black skirt tetras, one black molly, the infected betta, and an algae eater shrimp
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? no
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? around 75
7. What make/model filter are you using? whisper 30 and aqua clear 20
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? no
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? a tiny bit through the blinds from across the room
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? last week
11. How often do you perform water changes? every three weeks or so w/ regular water tests
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? tropical crisps and betta bites every two or three days
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? flourescent lighting for about 12 hours a day
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? betta illness
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. it's too late right now to test the water but it shouldn't be too messed up
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? aquarium pharm. liquid test kit
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? I last bought a large oranda gold fish and sh acted hungry in the pet store but she wasn't in this tank at all. the fish in this tank have been in there for the five months the tank has been set up.
I've treated her for ick, bacteria, fungus, and what ever else I could think of. I just don't know what to do for her. Her symptoms are just all over the place. All I know is that she neither looks nor feels good.
OK, here goes:Your betta needs to get isolated asap. I'm not sure if you have tried this yet, but bettababy's got an excellent treatment she recommends..it's about 3/4 down on this page: http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17029 and you can get the stuff at http://www.drsfostersmith.com under medications....getting it shipped quickly might be a bit of an issue however because of the holiday.
You don't have a lot of fish in that tank, but your water changes should still be upped so that your fish are getting some fresh water in the tank once a week. Water gets stale and old and icky, and I'm sure you probably have some at least some food rotting on the bottom.
You should be feeding them once or twice a day with perhaps a fast on Sunday...less stressful on their systems and makes them less likely to want to completely gorge themselves which ups the chance of them getting blocked up. Betta should be fed 2-3 pellets twice day unless she's eating some of the other food, then maybe 1 pellet twice a day.
Your tank temp should be upped to 78, if you don't have a heater you should get one...I'd go with an Aqueon or a Hydor in the 100w. Get a tank thermometer too cuz you'll have to fiddle with it a little.
Sorry for the long list...
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.