Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   First Fishless Cycle - Day 13...question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/first-fishless-cycle-day-13-question-159465/)

xfatdannx 04-22-2013 08:57 AM

First Fishless Cycle - Day 13...question

Just hit day 13 and my 20g tall is reading 0 ammonia for the first time. Nitrites are off the charts since there are no fish in there i have done 0 water changes so far.

Questions...

1. Will there be one more ammonia spike right before the cycle is done? If i remember correctly thats what happened in my 6gal fish-in cycle.

2. Do i need to keep "feeding" the tank to give it more ammonia? I have low light live plants in the tank. (Anubias, 2 crypts, Wisteria, and one more i have not ID'ed yet.) ((i went with all low light plants bc i have one 18" t8, its a ZooMed Flora-Sun 5000k bulb))

3. Just to make sure i understand, cycle is considered complete when Ammonia and Nitrite have been pegged at 0 for a few days, correct?

**edit**
Updated my Aquarium Log with a photo. The plant in the front along the left half is the one i have not IDed. If you know what it is please share. It grows up about 6 inches then start to fall and grow horizontal while sending more stems vertical every node. Thanks guys!

Byron 04-22-2013 05:40 PM

I don't recognize the plant, so hopefully someone else will. The Wisteria stems in the rear left will need good light, so they may or may not do well. Leave them and see, sometimes surprises happen.

On the cycling, yes you would normally continue to add ammonia for a fishless cycle, but here you have live plants so I would not even mess with this.

Do a good water change to get rid of the ammonia and nitrites, get yourself a floating plant, and add your first fish. Plants grab ammonia, and a lot of it; with just a few smallish fish, and especially floating plants which are very high users of ammonia/ammonium, you will be fine.

Byron.

fish keeper 2013 04-22-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1837977)
I don't recognize the plant, so hopefully someone else will. The Wisteria stems in the rear left will need good light, so they may or may not do well. Leave them and see, sometimes surprises happen.

On the cycling, yes you would normally continue to add ammonia for a fishless cycle, but here you have live plants so I would not even mess with this.

Do a good water change to get rid of the ammonia and nitrites, get yourself a floating plant, and add your first fish. Plants grab ammonia, and a lot of it; with just a few smallish fish, and especially floating plants which are very high users of ammonia/ammonium, you will be fine.

Byron.

So basically the whole silent cycle theory?

Byron 04-22-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish keeper 2013 (Post 1839817)
So basically the whole silent cycle theory?

I believe I have heard that term applied, yes. The bacteria do develop, but minimally because the plants ouit-copmpete them for ammonia. And with our basic test kits, you can't detect ammonia (and then nitrite) at such low levels as will occur with live plants. Provided all is balanced.;-)

xfatdannx 04-23-2013 03:40 PM

thanks guys

xfatdannx 04-23-2013 04:20 PM

my nitrites are still a little high for my comfort when it comes to adding fish. im gonna do another water change tomorrow or maybe tonight and see where it is tomorrow

TitanTDH 04-23-2013 05:23 PM

Hey mate. When I did my fish less cycle I saw ammonia drop to zero. Nitrites exploded and dropped shortly afterward, about a week. I used fish food as the ammonia source. And kept adding it until nitrites dropped to zero. I didn't use plants during the cycle but added them when I added the fish.
Just my experience

Byron 04-23-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfatdannx (Post 1849097)
my nitrites are still a little high for my comfort when it comes to adding fish. im gonna do another water change tomorrow or maybe tonight and see where it is tomorrow

Yes, do not introduce fish if ammonia or nitrite is above zero.

fish keeper 2013 04-23-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanTDH (Post 1849825)
Hey mate. When I did my fish less cycle I saw ammonia drop to zero. Nitrites exploded and dropped shortly afterward, about a week. I used fish food as the ammonia source. And kept adding it until nitrites dropped to zero. I didn't use plants during the cycle but added them when I added the fish.
Just my experience

I'm not positive on the exact number, but my nitrite spike took 3 and a half weeks to go away.

xfatdannx 04-24-2013 01:48 AM

after todays 25% water change, i went up to .25ppm Ammonia (from the tap) Nitrite was at 3ppm and i forgot what nitrates were at exactly but according to the test strip it was in the safe zone. I will test again in the morning (24 hours from last test) and we will see where it is.

No fish. i am doing it complete fish-less as suggested on this site. I decided to go this rout and decide which method i prefer.