Got a new Creamsicle L/T Molly & upon further investigation I see that she seems to have a bad eye. The eye seems sort of sunken and where the "pupil" in the other eye is large, this one is very small in comparison. I don't feel as though it's pop-eye from what I've read up on.
Is it possible it's from an injury of some sort? I tried doing my own test of "coming at her" from that side and she still spooks so I'm not SURE that the eye doesn't work. Could it be that they eye just doesn't work so it's sort of sunken in, like a dog with a blind eye that isn't used?
As far as general health goes, she's the spunkiest one in the tank and also beautifully & brightly colored.
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 14
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? LIGHTLY SALTED
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? 6 WEEKS
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know): 1 F DALMATION MOLLY, 1 M BLACK MOLLY, 1 CREAMSICLE L/T MOLLY, 1 F SWORDTAIL
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? NO
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 77-79 F
7. What make/model filter are you using? TETRA WHISPER 20 POWER FILTER
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? NO
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? YES
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? TODAY, 50%
11. How often do you perform water changes? WEEKLY-ISH
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? ONCE DAILY, BLOODWORMS OR FLAKES. AN OCCASIONAL ALGAE TAB
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? AQUARIUM LIGHT/SOME SUNLIGHT. PORTION OF THE DAY.
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time?
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips?
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank?
A (bad) Photo
Sorry it's grainy and what not, but here is the girl's bad eye.
What a pretty girl!!! I really like your swordtail too!! He looks like a crazy mino or something.
As far as I can tell thats no fish disease I have ever seen, and its probably an old injury from a sharp object in the tank or another fish. You said she has lots of energy, and besides that eye she looks really good. I really wouldn't be too worried about it. Unless you see a drop in energy or any other weird changes in behavior.
I would just be worried if this is a fresh injury, so watch out for infections. Just keep a close eye on her and keep your water very, very clean.
And may I suggest instead of a 50% water change, more like 20%. Even 20% twice a week! 50% is a lot to change at one time and may cause more stress on the fish then do good.
Thats my suggestion, I could be wrong but really, thats one nice looking fish and she looks like shes in good condition. Good luck, and keep us updated!
Thank you so much! My swordtail IS wonderful. He follows that red swordtail everywhere though, so I'm introducing another female, a pineapple swordtail, soon.
I'll surely keep up with the water changes and check back with any changes in her demeanor!
It's always a good idea to have more females then males, it keeps the boys busy :wink: Get ready for a bunch of little fry though! They will breed, and a lot.
I just realized I missed your question about if the eye is sunken in like a blind dogs eye would. And thats very possible. I couldn't tell you if she is blind in that eye or not. If she spooks from that side though it is possible that she has limited vision in that eye.
Another thing I just thought of, it could very well be something she was born with. Perhaps that eye never fully developed.
If she can see with that eye or not I'm sure she'll get along great without it. Just make sure no ones picking on her to much. Shes a big girl though, I'm sure she can hold her own.
Good luck :) Can't wait to hear how shes doing! :D
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.