Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Snail is multiplying (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/snail-multiplying-15917/)

bhone20 07-01-2008 12:53 AM

Snail is multiplying

I bought a Trap Door snail.Its bigger than a half dollar. All of a sudden my tank has 4 or 5 tiny little snails. I actually saw it give birth to a snail. It obviously doesnt lay eggs!!! :shock: Do they need boy Snails to make little snails or are they A-sexual?

bubbles72 07-01-2008 12:31 PM

was probably pregnant when you brought it

bhone20 07-01-2008 01:56 PM

:lol: ya think?

xavier 07-01-2008 04:06 PM

The question is what are you going to do when those 5 snails turn into 50 within a few months?

I had the same prob and just ended up buying a YoYo Loach.
The YoYo will not mess with any of the older adult snails but
makes short work of the new ones.

markiee55 07-02-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xavier
The question is what are you going to do when those 5 snails turn into 50 within a few months?

I had the same prob and just ended up buying a YoYo Loach.
The YoYo will not mess with any of the older adult snails but
makes short work of the new ones.

cool.

i didnt know that.

i had like 3 baby snails and in months it multiplied into the hundreds!!!!!!!!!!

way to many black dots in the aquarium...

eww... :(

bhone20 07-04-2008 04:52 PM

Yeah. these new borns are about the size of a pencil eraser. And more are still showing up.

tophat665 07-05-2008 09:52 AM

You're a cichlid keeper, nu? It was my understanding that cichlids were pretty good at removing snails (I know my shellies have killed most of the mystery snails I put in their tank.) Evidently not. Your best bet is to remove them by hand.

willow 07-05-2008 09:55 AM

you could donate them to someone who has puffer fish perhaps. :)

iamntbatman 07-05-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665
You're a cichlid keeper, nu? It was my understanding that cichlids were pretty good at removing snails (I know my shellies have killed most of the mystery snails I put in their tank.) Evidently not. Your best bet is to remove them by hand.

He has convicts and oscars. From what I understand, American cichlids don't eat snails with quite the dedication as Rift Lake cichlids.

tophat665 07-05-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman
Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665

He has convicts and oscars. From what I understand, American cichlids don't eat snails with quite the dedication as Rift Lake cichlids.

That would explain that, then. Hand removal is still the best call, methinks.