Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Fin rot? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/fin-rot-158745/)

Vpaw 04-21-2013 02:29 PM

Fin rot?

I have always just thought they got torn but now that 3 died.. I was wondering if there is any disease in my tank? Fm rot maybe? I have mostly guppies, and a few glofish with 3 African dwarf frogs and an Otto.

Ok I'm not sure if my pictures are there or not... It's not showing me..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Boredomb 04-21-2013 04:10 PM

The pics are not there but if its fin rot usually you will see what looks like torn fins that have white edges around where the missing part of the tail. Best treatment is clean water. I would do numerous water changes during the week. You can add meds like Melafix to ad in the cure of it IF it is fin rot.

Vpaw 04-21-2013 05:15 PM

Well while their tails are torn, there are no white parts. Maybe it's high amonia? How can I lower amonia?

MoneyMitch 04-21-2013 06:53 PM

fin rot sets in when a fish is being picked on and dirty water. reduce ammonia by water changes and/or addition of Prime

Boredomb 04-21-2013 07:37 PM

Water changes are the only way to remove high ammonia.

MoneyMitch 04-21-2013 07:43 PM

prime will turn it to way less toxic ammonium too =)

Boredomb 04-21-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1827337)
prime will turn it to way less toxic ammonium too =)

Yes Mitch you are Correct but only for 48hrs then it turns back to Ammonia. The only way to remove it is with water changes and good cleaning of the tank in general.

Vpaw 04-21-2013 10:16 PM

Well I do 10-15% water changed very week. But I still feel as though my ammonia won't go down.

Boredomb 04-21-2013 10:51 PM

How big is the tank? Do you siphon your substrate? Also if you don't and I am assuming you don't have a test kit. It comes in handy for these types of situation as then you know what the levels are. I would recommend buying one and do 50% water changes a week if not more if your tank is overstocked.
Posted via Mobile Device

Vpaw 04-21-2013 10:58 PM

I have a 20 gallon and a 29 gallon. My 29 has goldfish, so I see why there's ammonia but my 20 is mostly guppies. I have a gravel vaccum and it works great with the gravel in the 29 but I recently changed my 20 to sand. It is titanium moon sand and the vacuum doesn't seem to suck up the poop... But I'm working with that. I heard that anymore than 35% water change is dangerous. Also I don't have that much water, I'd have to go to the store a lot more to get more. I use spring water from water and ice.