Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Help selecting a bigger tank for my two goldfish. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/help-selecting-bigger-tank-my-two-15871/)

lovespicyfood 06-28-2008 02:42 PM

Help selecting a bigger tank for my two goldfish.

Hello!

This is my first post so if I'm posting in the wrong forum, please let me know! :D

About a year ago, my daughter attended a child's bday party and came home with two goldfish in a very small bowl (~20oz). The next day the bowl was very cloudy so I went out and bought a beginner kit that was 5 gallons.

Several fish died, but every time one died, I bought another one. Finally, I got two hardy ones that quickly outgrew the tank.

I then purchased an Eclipse 12 gallon tank on Craigslist. The fish are thriving now and I'm looking at purchasing a bigger tank for them.

It's a little hard to see from the pictures, but the mostly orange fish is 5-6" and the other one is ~5.5".

I've been looking at Craigslist for a few weeks now and haven't seen anything I've liked. I am now considering the 24 gallon Nano Cube tank system as it seems I can get it delivered for ~$200.

***Do you think that system would be a nice setup for my two fish? I don't plan on buying more fish, I just want to keep these two happy and healthy and provide for them the nicest living environment I can. I have to say that they have grown on me (figuratively) and I really like them.

I currently use the stock filtration system in my Eclipse 12 w/ an airstone for added oxygenation. I use a stealth heater and keep the water at 78 degrees. For the most part, this system works pretty well. I do find that I get lot of floating poop and because of that I use a net to take it out every once inawhile. I see that the Nano Cube has a "protein skimmer" so I'm hoping/thinking that will help? I usually replace ~40% of the water every few weeks.

I have a test kit and it seems that I consistently have a hard time keeping the nitrate levels safe.

***Do you think a 24 gallon tank will be nice for my two fish? I could possibly keep them in an up to 55 gallon tank, but I'd prefer the smaller size if suitable.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Regards,
Pete

lovespicyfood 06-28-2008 02:45 PM

Hmmm...I can't seem to attach my pictures.... :(

lovespicyfood 06-28-2008 02:50 PM

WOW, that was FAST, the thread was already moved...Sorry for posting in the wrong forum...

I uploaded a pic of my tank/fish to my gallery...

Thanks for your help!
Pete

Cody 06-28-2008 03:29 PM

Three things I noticed:

1. The 24g Nano cube will not be able to hold two species of Goldies, whatever species. They produce way too much waste, and even the smallest species will reach 10-12". Do you know what kinds you have? The Feeders (these are the longer ones that are like 12 cents) or Softball shaped goldies? If they are feeders, AKA Comet, then these can reach 18" +, usually a lot more. You are looking at a pretty big tank with good filtration. If you have the Softball kind (I think they are Ryukin or Fantail), then you are looking at a tank of at least 55 gallons, if not more. Since your goldfish are a good size, I feel you can get an adult home for them so you dont have to eventually get another.

2. You have a heater. Goldies are coldwater fish, and do best in temperatures of 65-72 degrees farenheit. If you take the heater out, or put it on a really low setting, the Goldies will be able to thrive once you upgrade the tank size.

3. 40% change every few weeks is not enough for the amount of waste these guys produce. Since they are only in a 12G tank, you should do at least changes twice a week of around 50%. Of course, it wont be as much if you upgrade.

Oh, and do you mind posting your nitrate levels, along with ammnonia and nitrite (these are the most important to know in this case)? You can figure them out with a reliable test kit. API is a favorite.

Let us know if you need anymore help or have any other questinos on anything else.

Amphitrite 06-28-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovespicyfood
WOW, that was FAST, the thread was already moved...Sorry for posting in the wrong forum...

I uploaded a pic of my tank/fish to my gallery...

Thanks for your help!
Pete

No probs Pete :)

lovespicyfood 06-28-2008 07:27 PM

Oh MAN, not what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate your honesty and expertise... :(

I just added another pic of my tank which shows the second fish. I believe she's (not sure if male or female) is a Comet. He was a ~20 cent feeder fish.

WHOA, they'll really get that big?! When I got her the Petsmart sign said they got to a max size of 6"??

I obviously have a mediocore test kit, I'll look for the API you suggested. It's a 6 tests in one strip by Jungle. After dipping and reading, it said 40mg/L of Nitrate. This later went to the over 200 level after a minute or so.

Nitrate reads .5mm.

hardness was 75 (soft)

Chlorine 0

alkalinity 80 and ph of 6.2-6.8.

I realize most of those readings are not so good and will be initiating another 40% water change immediately, even though I did one ~4 days ago...

So...is it still advisable for me to NOT keep them even with a 50 gallon tank and no other fish? Man, I really like them, but do not want to endanger their lives if that is the case.

I'll be turning down the heater to the temps you suggested. Right now, because of warm southern CA weather, the tank will get up to ~80 degrees at times...is that something to worry about?

Thanks for the help!

Pete

Cody 06-28-2008 07:37 PM

Comets do pretty good in ponds, since they get so big. And, the size I mentioned was the bare minimum, unfortunatley. I have heard of people's Comets who live in ponds get 25-30" long. You could setup a pond if you want, since the climate in So Cal is usually pretty good.. Plus, it would look nice, but that can be a pretty difficult task. Other members may have better inputs on what to do for this case. But, I think you may need to rehome them.

As you mentioned, your ttest kit is not very good. Test strips are usually very unreliable.

As for other fish in a tank with Goldfish, I would really only do other Goldfish or maybe Koi if you do a pond or like 300G+ tank (those get 3 feet long).

Petsmart isn't the best for looking at size. I beleive these are the smae people that say common plecs will stay at 2-4" long? Lol. They just care about sales.

lovespicyfood 06-28-2008 11:51 PM

Cody,

Thanks for the information.

Building a pond is not an option so I don't know what I'm going to do... Perhaps I'll get a 50 gallon setup on Craigslist and look at re-homing them when they outgrow that...hmm...

I'd love to entertain any other suggestions.

Regards,
Pete

iamntbatman 07-01-2008 12:02 AM

The nanocube is definitely not a good option. Not only is it too small, but it's also a tank designed for saltwater use (hence the protein skimmer).

If you were already willing to spend in the neighborhood of $200 on a tank for these fish, I would suggest camping out craigslist for good deals on bigger tanks. Some setups can get pretty expensive but I've definitely seen some pretty large tanks (which I believe would be suitable for your goldfish) for $200 or less. For example, I almost got my hands on a 125 gallon tank with all of the equipment (stand, canopy, lighting, heaters, filters, gravel, decor, food, nets, everything...even the fish) for $150. The guy sold it to someone else, but hey...it was still a great deal.