Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Potassium deficiency? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/potassium-deficiency-158409/)

fish keeper 2013 04-20-2013 10:14 PM

Potassium deficiency?

I looked at seachem's website and they had a chart that listed all the nutrients and the symptoms of deficiency. I was wondering if any were appliable to my anarachis. This is what it said for potassium:

1. Chlorosis (lack of chlorophyll, yellowing of leaves)- I had noticed that my anarachis had some yellow leaves

2. Necrosis (blackening/wilting)- one of my stems turned black

3. Weak stems and roots- again, the stem turned black. The entire plant keeled over on the gravel. When I pulled it out everything underground had completely dissolved.

4. Older leaves most affected- Just a few weeks ago I was marveling at how all the plantlets had flawless green leaves and the original plants were all yellow. Right now all of the stems are side shoots off original plants except one. That one is the only one with yellow leaves, it has a still attached side shoot that has green leaves.

So... Any thoughts? I am well aware that supplements in one nutrient can mean deficiency in another, balance is key. So I want to be positive it is potassium before buying flourish potassium.

Thanks in advance!

Mikaila31 04-21-2013 12:48 AM

Potassium deficiency typically causes yellowing on the outer edges of leaves or pin holes in older leaves. IMO yours sounds more like a nitrogen deficiency if there is significant yellowing, otherwise it may just be the plant dropping some older leaves. I personally would not worry about the stem turning black if it happened to one one plant that sounds more like damage then a deficiency. Also stems typically break down under gravel, long as the plant is sending out roots it should be fine.

JDM 04-21-2013 07:12 AM

It's common for older leaves to die and drop off or just melt. As long as the newer growth is healthy they are fine. What I find is that the new growth often looks just a little different than the older original growth and this is due to different conditions in the tank than what they were grown in. Leaves can be a different shade, different colour, narrower, wider.... sometimes it doesn't look like the same plant and these are indications of a different environment in which the old leaves might not survive in.... so the plant drops them. Just cut off the older and plant the newer back in the substrate.

If it is the new growth is also not doing well on these, your tank temperature is 80F, these don't do as well in tropical temperatures as they prefer a moderate clime. Try just taking a stem and putting it in another container at room temperature with nothing but tank water and see what it does... Floating.

Jeff.

fish keeper 2013 04-21-2013 08:50 AM

Mikaila31- I don't think it is nitrogen deficiency because the new leaves are fine and when I first got them I was cycling my tank (they were in 5+ ppm nitrite for over a week) and they still had yellow leaves. Also, it wasn't really sending out roots cause when I pulled it out the entire part underneath the gravel was just like mashed up pulp.

JDM- yeah, I did notice that the newer leaves look very different from the old leaves: smaller, more dense, more green, and more "rounded" (they weren't really round, just rounder than the old leaves.) Also, my temperature is around...77? (The heater is set to 74, the stick on thermometer says 78-79, and the digital says 77...). Yesterday I turned down the heater another degree so it should now be around 76.

Thanks for the replies!

ao 04-21-2013 09:28 AM

What plant is this?
Sometimes when plants grow the newer growth shades the lower growth,
then the plant melt/lose leaves where there isn't sufficient lighting.

JDM 04-21-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish keeper 2013 (Post 1821489)
JDM- yeah, I did notice that the newer leaves look very different from the old leaves: smaller, more dense, more green, and more "rounded" (they weren't really round, just rounder than the old leaves.) Also, my temperature is around...77? (The heater is set to 74, the stick on thermometer says 78-79, and the digital says 77...). Yesterday I turned down the heater another degree so it should now be around 76.

Oh, your tank profile said 80F.

Jeff.

fish keeper 2013 04-21-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1822041)
Oh, your tank profile said 80F.

Jeff.

Sorry... That was a couple of days ago, before I had the digital thermometer. The stick on (which I think is inaccurate) said 80, and I forgot to change it.

Edit: didn't see your post aokashi... It is anarachis (egeria densa)

MoneyMitch 04-21-2013 12:05 PM

personally ive never had luck with this plant, it always melts on me and does what your describeing. I ended up giving up on trying it since my last setup. could have been the water was too warm or the fish beat it up not sure.... point is some work in the tank some don't.

JDM 04-21-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1822857)
.... point is some work in the tank some don't.

Yes. That was the whole premise of my planting idea... I am up to about 30 varieties tried so far with only two failures, some I have decided I don't care for as much as others as well. Now I will just keep what works and what I like. This way one failed plant is not big deal.

See my link in my sig if you want to see some of the stuff I played with or just look at my tank profile, the list is there... mostly up to date.

Jeff.

ao 04-21-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish keeper 2013 (Post 1822729)
Sorry... That was a couple of days ago, before I had the digital thermometer. The stick on (which I think is inaccurate) said 80, and I forgot to change it.

Edit: didn't see your post aokashi... It is anarachis (egeria densa)

Oh, that's good to know. This species prefers cooler waters and is likely going through a transitioning period.