Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Vivariums and Reptiles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/)
-   -   Tree Frog Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/tree-frog-question-15820/)

iamntbatman 06-26-2008 12:45 AM

Tree Frog Question

I recently bought an anole and have it housed in a 10g tank. I've got reptile bark substrate, a small water dish, some plants and sticks for him to climb around on, a UV strip light, a basking light placed over a rock at one end of the tank and another flat rock at the cool end of the tank. I feed him small crickets and regularly mist the tank with water.

I've had my windows open since the sun went down, and I looked over at my window to see a small frog clinging to the window screen! I ran outside and snagged him. The anoles at the store were kept with some exotic looking tree frogs and this little guy is about half again as big as the anole's head, so I figured it would be ok.

So...is there any special care I need to consider for this little guy? Some of the feeder crickets I use look small enough for the frog to eat. Does he need water to swim in? The water dish in the tank is pretty small.

If this is a bad idea, I can always set him free out back.

It'sJames 06-26-2008 05:13 PM

Do you have any idea what kind of frog it is? A picture would be a huge help in determining what he is and the care he'll require.

iamntbatman 06-26-2008 09:26 PM

I'm fairly certain he's just a regular American green tree frog, hyla cinerea. When I first caught him his coloration looked more like a carpenter frog, but upon further inspection he has all the trademark features of the green tree frog. Not to mention he was stuck to my window screen several feet off the ground when I caught him and spends a lot of his time either on the branches and leaves or on the glass walls of the aquarium.

iamntbatman 07-06-2008 11:37 AM

Apparently, tree frogs just love my windowscreen. I caught another one about a week ago. I now have the two frogs hanging out with the anole. They seem to completely ignore each other, which I suppose is a good thing. I assume that the frogs have been eating well since they've definitely plumped up since I put them in there and there are a lot less crickets.

I know these frogs can change colors, but these little guys have stayed mottled gray color after being in the cage for about a day. This color is pretty much exactly the same color as the tree bark on the branches in there (which they like to sit on) and some of the rocks. So...are they changing color to blend in with their environment, or is this color change a sign of stress?

iamntbatman 07-07-2008 10:11 PM

I realize I keep posting in my own thread, so I'll just think of it more as a blog.

I ran out of crickets, so today I got another batch of them and dumped them in. Not only did the anole go nuts (which is a good thing, because I had never seen him actually eat any of the crickets before) but so did the two little frogs! It was actually pretty brutal; the little frogs tackled and devoured crickets almost half their own size!

GeegaFish 07-08-2008 05:28 AM

Yes, it is amazing to see that even innocent looking amphibians can be ruthless hunters with voracious appetites! :shock: :D
It sounds like things are going well in your anole/frog habitat. That's great! Any pictures?

iamntbatman 07-09-2008 12:53 AM

I haven't taken any pictures yet. There's an awful lot of cover with the new fake plants I added, but I'll see what I can do tomorrow when the light's on.

tj4288 08-25-2008 12:40 AM

i live in western new york, i see and here those little guys all summer, never thought of keeping one....... thanks for the inspiration. i have caught them before, dont know much about them other than i have never seen one larger than a half dollar. they are very loud this time of year and only really make noise as the sun is setting into early evening,

onefish2fish 08-25-2008 01:02 AM

that means youll be hearing it all night. sweet dreams :D lol but tree frogs are super sick, im def. a fan of the neon green with big red eyes one

willow 08-25-2008 02:58 AM

can't wait for pictures,i love tree frogs,
my sister has some,along with other frogs.