Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Exotic 15-20 gallon tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/exotic-15-20-gallon-tank-158033/)

PhilipPhish 04-20-2013 11:43 AM

Exotic 15-20 gallon tank?

So I want to start a new 15 or 20 gallon tank this summer, strictly freshwater.
But I want something exotic looking. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as stocking?

Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

mikey1 04-20-2013 02:18 PM

most "exotic" fish that i know of require a much bigger tank than that

PhilipPhish 04-20-2013 03:03 PM

Ok, what about just "normal" fish?
I want something colorful, lots of movement.
I'd also like to do a planted tank. Any suggestions for good beginner plants?
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 04-20-2013 03:38 PM

Exotic differs from person to person. Also most exotic fish are difficult to care for. Gotta learn to walk before you can run. ;-)

It sounds like you are looking for a barb tank. They are active and come in lots of colors. Cherry barbs are my favorite. If you get a 20 (which is certainly best) you could do 10 or so in there. Harlequin rasbora are another good choice for color and movement. Substrate fish of corydoras or a bristlenose pleco if you want.

As for hardy beginner plants, you'll want low-light plants like anubias, java fern, java moss, and swords. Smaller varieties of swords like the dwarf chain sword will be better than the massive amazon swords; something like that will outgrow your tank. These can all be grown with the same hood that your tank will come with.

PhilipPhish 04-20-2013 08:42 PM

I heard cory cats eat live plants... that's why my 30 gallon isn't planted because I have 8 cories in it.
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 04-20-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilipPhish (Post 1818225)
I heard cory cats eat live plants... that's why my 30 gallon isn't planted because I have 8 cories in it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Uh what? No they most certainly do not. Corydoras are omnivorous. At most you'll see them nibble on the leaves to get the algae and aufwuchs off the leaves. Cories would much rather have a meal of bloodworms than your plants.

PhilipPhish 04-20-2013 10:59 PM

I see! So for a 30 gallon tall, I could plant it with the same kinds you listed for a 15/20 gallon?
I feed my female bettas (and what ever guppy/platy decides to come eat) freeze dried bloodworms.... is there a kind that sinks to the bottom for the cory's?
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 04-21-2013 12:16 AM

Oh certainly! I have those plants that I listed in my 29 with no issues. They are very hardy and easily take low-light. There are other low-light plants, but they aren't nearly as hardy. Those are great beginner plants.

The frozen kinds sink very well. I generally defrost a cube in aquarium water and then pour that into the tank. Everyone goes nuts for them, doesn't matter in which tank!

PhilipPhish 04-21-2013 07:40 AM

I'll definitely look into bloodworms for the cories!

So for this 15/20 gallon, could I do a center piece fish, perhaps a gourami? I like the idea of maybe doing cardinal/neon tetras, I've always thought those looked very interesting in a planted tank. And either albino and peppered cories, or albino and emerald cories for the bottom.
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 04-21-2013 11:39 AM

I'd certainly get a 20 with that stock, but it sounds like a great idea. I have honey gourami and cardinal tetra in my 29 and they work together just fine. Go for about 10 cardinals.

Albino cories get a bit large, so try for one of the smaller species of cories. A 20 may be large compared to betta tanks, but it's still not that large in the scheme of things.