Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   15 gallon Community Tank Journal (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/15-gallon-community-tank-journal-157881/)

gema 04-20-2013 05:22 AM

15 gallon Community Tank Journal

15 Gallon Community Tank

Go easy on me this is my first tank :-)

Will add new photos as they come.

Attachment 103793

Empty and awaiting fish.

gema 04-20-2013 05:48 AM

Two New Guppies

Four days ago I added live bacteria purchased from the pet store .

Today I added two guppies to help things along a bit, and they are SUPER CUTE!

gema 04-20-2013 05:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 103801
Attachment 103809
Attachment 103817

Black and yellow spotted snakeskin guppy male

gema 04-20-2013 05:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 103825

Orange Albino snakeskin guppy male

(He is a bit more camera shy than his yellow friend )

Chesh 04-22-2013 10:26 AM

Hey, Gema! Welcome to TFK, fish-keeping, and my favorite area of our forum!

Go easy on you? Your tank looks lovely! I say this is a very WELL DONE first tank!!! Your little Gups are pretty pretty! Please be sure to keep this log updated as your little tank grows. :)

gema 04-28-2013 02:49 AM

Sadly lost both guppies during cycle :cry: ammonia was at .2 everything else was good.

Since then I continued to "feed" the tank with flake, had the water tested today at lfs and the tank seems to have cycled itself in 2 weeks. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, unsure of nitrate but she said it was good.

So I added 5 neon tetras (I know they arnt the hardiest of fish but lfs suggested they will be better than guppies for now and they are under guarantee)

Will post photos tomorrow as I have the light off for now to reduce stress .

Chesh 04-28-2013 07:19 AM

Sorry to hear about the guppies :(

Fish in cycling is really hard on the animals. . . I don't know that I would have listened to the shop's advice and chosen Tetra, or how they could possibly be considered 'better than guppies?' I'd probably have gone with Platy if I absolutely had to put fish in a possibly cycling tank. I've lost Neons to cycling issues before, and it made me very sad. . . 'still under warranty' is a good thing, it means you'll get your money back - but that won't return the fish's lives. . . I'd be inclined to return them until I was positive that the tank is ready.

I hope they do well for you! Neons are such pretty little things. . . I would proceed as if your tank is still cycling, and do consistent frequent water changes to play it safe. Two weeks isn't a very long time for cycling, and I. . . have doubts that the tank is quite there, yet. Without that nitrate reading, it's impossible to guess. Please be careful!

You should definitely look into picking up your own kit to test your tank water. Even after the initial cycle, it's good to have a clear idea of what's going on in there. Test strips are inaccurate, and fish shops seem to always tell people everything is 'fine,' even when it obviously isn't! The Master Freshwater Test Kit by API is the kit most of us on this forum use.

Not intending to deliver a lecture - some things just have to be said - hope you understand! Best of luck to you and your new babies - looking forward to the pictures, and best of luck!

gema 04-29-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesherca (Post 1900817)
Sorry to hear about the guppies :(

Fish in cycling is really hard on the animals. . . I don't know that I would have listened to the shop's advice and chosen Tetra, or how they could possibly be considered 'better than guppies?' I'd probably have gone with Platy if I absolutely had to put fish in a possibly cycling tank. I've lost Neons to cycling issues before, and it made me very sad. . . 'still under warranty' is a good thing, it means you'll get your money back - but that won't return the fish's lives. . . I'd be inclined to return them until I was positive that the tank is ready.

I hope they do well for you! Neons are such pretty little things. . . I would proceed as if your tank is still cycling, and do consistent frequent water changes to play it safe. Two weeks isn't a very long time for cycling, and I. . . have doubts that the tank is quite there, yet. Without that nitrate reading, it's impossible to guess. Please be careful!

You should definitely look into picking up your own kit to test your tank water. Even after the initial cycle, it's good to have a clear idea of what's going on in there. Test strips are inaccurate, and fish shops seem to always tell people everything is 'fine,' even when it obviously isn't! The Master Freshwater Test Kit by API is the kit most of us on this forum use.

Not intending to deliver a lecture - some things just have to be said - hope you understand! Best of luck to you and your new babies - looking forward to the pictures, and best of luck!

I was so sad that I cried. I am a big baby when it comes to my pets.

I have been getting my water tested at lfs every 3-4 days but unfortunately the API master test kit is $90 in my area, which I really can't afford right now. Fingers crossed I can layby one tomorrow.

Also so far the neon tetras are doing good:-D No abnormal behavior, no color loss, they seem happy and were very enthusiastic at feed time!

gema 04-29-2013 02:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 109794

Chesh 04-29-2013 06:40 AM

Awwww!!! They look so tiny in there! ^o^
Glad to hear they're doing well!
$90!!? Sheesh! Try Amazon!