Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (
-   -   How do I rid that 'Trace of Ammonia'? (

gupgupgirl 06-24-2008 10:02 AM

How do I rid that 'Trace of Ammonia'?

I'm pretty new at breeding guppies, but I do a TON of research and learning a lot by experience.

Anyways, here is my problem. I set up my 20gal long guppy tank about a month ago. I let it cycle for about a week and a half with a filter and some water conditioners. I then added some cheap fish store guppies (the $1.25 ones) to help cycle.

After a month, I test the water with a liquid Ammonia kit and still find traces of Ammonia. (the paper with the kit says its 0.5-1) The test tube water is barely shade of yellow, and you usually have to hold it up to a white background to really see it. I've researched online, and basically learned, the less ammonia, the longer it takes your fish to die. Which isn't a good thing since it still contained the word "DIE" in it. Since I've had the aquarium set it, I have only had 1 female guppy parish.

I went out a bought a new filter cartridge that is supposed to rid ammonia, and I do 20% to 40% changes of water almost daily. (is that too much?) After a change, the water is great. But the next day results return to 'trace'.

I know any amount of ammonia is detrimental to my fish...
Does anyone have any recommendation on how to fight this ammonia? Thanks!


1077 06-24-2008 10:18 AM

You might try vaccuming the bottom of the tank lightly once a week a different area each time. You could also cut back on food to once a day and only feed as much as you SEE them eat in one or two min. You really should only need to change 20 to 25 percent of water once a week. Excess food laying on the bottom is usually the source of elevated ammonia readings. As food decays it makes ammonia. If you try the above ,you may find you don't need the ammonia reducing filter media. :D

gupgupgirl 06-24-2008 11:51 AM

Larger pieces of food that get eaten do tend to collect on the bottom of the tank, and usually I notice them gone the next day or so. I'll start feeding smaller pieces in smaller amounts.

Thanks for the help!


okiemavis 06-24-2008 06:25 PM

It's also worth checking your tap water parameters. It's possible you have ammonia in your water which is why you can't get rid of all of it in your tank.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome