Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Starting up a 20 litre tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/starting-up-20-litre-tank-15769/)

1sime1 06-24-2008 12:29 AM

Starting up a 20 litre tank

I just bought ..........more of a large vase about 20 litres its round and tall about 20 cm wide. Wondering what fish I could put in it, I have 4 plants in there already mostly short grassy plants.

I was thinking maybe a betta, a snail and 4-5 neon tetra would this be ok ?

1077 06-24-2008 05:16 AM

In my view, Berkley gulp minnows found in sporting goods at many walmart's would be best suited for such a vase. Doesn't really matter , Most live fish will be SHORT lived in such a container. You can buy a 10 gal. tank only for around 10 bucks. Add a filter and heater and odds of fish or fishes surviving greatly increase.

1077 06-24-2008 05:59 AM

Betta and snail might work .they should still have filter and heater. :(

Tyyrlym 06-24-2008 09:22 AM

20 liters is almost five and a half gallons. That should be plenty big for a betta and some tetras given a decent filter, right? The only thing I'd be worried about is the number of tetras, 4 to 5 seems on the small side for a school.

1077 06-24-2008 09:31 AM

poster stated that this bowl, vase, tank, was tall and that would mean less surface area for oxygen exchange. larger surface area would in my view be betterfor fish. Nearly 80 percent of posts I have viewed on this forum when discussing various fish ailments have been about bettas. Wonder why that is. :( poster also indicated that container was approx twenty centimeters wide.

Garrity828 06-24-2008 10:13 AM

I agree with 1077. You should just buy a 10 gallon tank kit (comes with light, heater, pump, thermometer) for about $20-30. The fish would be much happier, therefore making them much more fun to watch.

iamntbatman 06-24-2008 04:08 PM

I've read in a couple of different places that a tall tank cannot be stocked with any more fish as a shorter tank with the same surface area. The oxygen exchange at the surface of the water is key, here. Even though the vase is over 5 gallons, due to the small surface area I wouldn't suggest housing more than a single betta in it at most.

I agree with what other posters have said; you'd be better off getting a more traditional aquarium.

okiemavis 06-24-2008 07:31 PM

A betta should be fine as they breath atmospheric air provided that a) it's not *too* tall b) you have a filter and heater and c) you do all your research before hand. I wouldn't add more than a shrimp or a snail to go with the betta though.

1sime1 06-24-2008 11:28 PM

Sorry should of mentioned I have a heater and a fliter(which is pumping air also into the tank) and 4 plants which i figured would produce enough O2 for the fish. I am now thinking the betta would cause troubles and going more for maybe 3-5 guppies and a snail......all male guppies should be ok. If they were doign ok also maybe a small bottom feeder.......??

1077 06-25-2008 04:54 AM

I would still implore you to consider a larger home for your fish. You already have a heater and filter so for another 10 bucks you could get a tank that fish would be much healthier and happier in. Isn't that what you would like? :)