Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Internal Power Filters

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tophat665 
#1 ·
I'll be setting up a 55 gallon tank later this summer. It will be so positioned that a cannister filter would be at best impractical. It will also be right next to my TV, so waterfall and bubble driven filters are out of the question.

What I need is one (or two) good internal power filters, preferably with outlets that can be directed toward the surface to provide agitation without noisy splashing.

Recommendations?

#2 ·
How about this:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/203832/product.web

A simple sponge filter driven by a power head. Very quiet and very effective source of biological filtration. A friend of mine ran a 220 aquarium using 2 of these filters. I have personally used sponge filters on dozens of aquariums. I think you will find this is exactly what you are asking for. And you can easily hide them with rocks and plants.

#7 ·
Planting with Vals, which really grow best for me in sand. UGF and RUGF are not feasible.

A pair of Fluval 3+ is probably where I am going with this. Maybe with a power sponge or two, but, thinking about the aquascape, that probably won't fit nicely. (This will be in my living room, so it has to look good. Black Mollies and Ghost Shrimp. Vals and Sags.)

#9 ·
okiemavis said:
Sounds very pretty! Although I'd go for cherry shrimp instead of ghost shrimp personally.
This tank is doing double duty as display and live food for the bichirs and bushfish and butterflies on the other side of the TV. No way could I justify using cherry shrimp.

#11 ·
okiemavis said:
They may be more expensive to begin with, but IMHO they are ridiculously easy to breed, much easier than Ghost shrimp. Plus, you can usually pick them up pretty inexpensively on aquabid or by trading with someone on this forum.
I have them. I haven't found them to be that easy to breed. Yet. I also don't think I could feed them to my bichir.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.