Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Quick CO2 question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/quick-co2-question-15758/)

FishFarms 06-23-2008 07:49 PM

Quick CO2 question

Will the addition of CO2 into your tank for the plants cause the pH to raise or lower?

Thanks,
Andy

cajunmomof4 06-23-2008 07:50 PM

Lower :D

FishFarms 06-24-2008 10:00 AM

Okay thanks! (I was hopeing it would raise my pH.... now I have a real problem because my pH is already really low!)

Andy

okiemavis 06-24-2008 06:58 PM

You can add some crushed coral to your substrate (or filter) to raise the ph. You can also use limestone. Be aware that this will also raise your gh and kh (which should be fine). I've also heard of people using baking powder, but I'd avoid that as you'll have to keep adding it and it won't be as stable as the first two.

How low is your pH? Most fish are just fine with a range of pH.

FishFarms 06-24-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiemavis
You can add some crushed coral to your substrate (or filter) to raise the ph. You can also use limestone. Be aware that this will also raise your gh and kh (which should be fine). I've also heard of people using baking powder, but I'd avoid that as you'll have to keep adding it and it won't be as stable as the first two.

Thanks for the advise. Now that you mention it, I do remember reading something about the coral raising pH; I'll look into that.

Right now I'm not 100% sure on what my pH is from the tap. The test strips that I have only go down to 6.4, so I know it's under that; probably around 5.5-6. I'm planning on making a run to the LFS on Thursday so I'll get a better test kit.

Thanks for the help.

Andy

fish_4_all 06-24-2008 08:31 PM

That is pretty low. What is the pH of your tap water?

I am not sure I would mess with it using anyhting but crushed coral or limestone but they are not going to bring it up very much.

Is there possibly something in your tank that is bringing it down or is it more likely just your tap water? If there is anything "odd" that you have in there let us know.

okiemavis 06-24-2008 08:37 PM

Test strips can be pretty inaccurate as well- I'd recommend using the API master liquid test kit. You'll be very glad you've got it in the long run and you'll be able to get a much more accurate reading of your ph (although you may want to also buy a separate low-range pH test). Luckily it's much easier to raise ph and than to lower it in a natural, stable way!

iam_koi 06-26-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishFarms
Quote:

Originally Posted by okiemavis

Thanks for the advise. Now that you mention it, I do remember reading something about the coral raising pH; I'll look into that.

Right now I'm not 100% sure on what my pH is from the tap. The test strips that I have only go down to 6.4, so I know it's under that; probably around 5.5-6. I'm planning on making a run to the LFS on Thursday so I'll get a better test kit.

Thanks for the help.

Andy

wow! thats low PH, good for breeding fishes like tetras. Good for you, our water here would have 7 or 8..
My CO2 injections makes it acidic (lower).