Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   What do you think of these 3 stocking options? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-do-you-think-these-3-a-157513/)

Tropical Trav 04-19-2013 05:17 PM

What do you think of these 3 stocking options?

Please tell me any problems I would have if I chose any of these 3 options for stocking my 29 gallon tank.

1st

3 Kuhli Loach
5 Glass Catfish
6 Cardinal tetra

2nd

3 Kuhli Loach
1 Veil Angelfish
5 Black Skirt Tetra
3 Platys (probably Mickey Mouse Platys)

3rd

3 Kuhli Loach
5 Tiger Barb
5 Cherry Barb
1 Mickey Mouse Platy

Any adjustments to quantities? Any problems you see getting along?

thekoimaiden 04-19-2013 06:28 PM

I know you're afraid of overstocking, but you do need to up some of those groups for the fish's sake. Like the loaches. I've kept them in groups of three, and you hardly see the little buggers. I'd certainly go 6+ with them. I have 9 in my 29 right now, and they do not look cramped at all.

The same goes for the tetra, barbs, and the glass cats. These fish live in groups by the hundreds in the wild and the "six fish" min that is often give is the bare bones of what they need. You really do get better looking fish if you keep them in groups of more than six.

For example, I'd change that first stocking option to 6 kuhli loaches, 10 cardinal tetra, and 8 glass catfish. With enough plants (and especially floating plants) this will not be anywhere near overstocked.

JDM 04-20-2013 07:28 AM

Ditto, up the numbers.

I would probably go with the loaches, glass cats and cherry barbs instead of cardinals. I'm not certain about the angel but with that mix it would work... Just not sure about tank size for the angel. I'm not a fan of the platy so I would never recommend them... personal choice only.

Jeff.

Byron 04-20-2013 02:28 PM

This thread is related to the older [ http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...gallon-156465/ ] so I am using some of the data from that thread as background, such as the water parameters which are soft to moderately hard (GH). For this alone, I would forget livebearers (platy) as they need harder water than the other fish mentioned.

And i concur with previous posts that the numbers need to be increased. As I mentioned in the other thread, more is always better for shoaling fish. Aside from increasing the numbers, there are issues with #2 and #3 options.

Angelfish is not suitable in a 29g, unless you have a mated pair for breeding. Rather than repeat the info, please read the profile, for Pterophyllum scalare [click shaded names]. Also, Black Widow Tetra [another common name for Black Skirt] is not a good match with angelfish anyway, as the tetra tend to fin nip and the angelfish is too much of a temptation to such fish. If you do get this tetra, you will have to carefully consider other fish due to this nipping tendancy.

Same holds for the Tiger Barb, even worse. This fish should be on its own in a 29g, with 8-12, and nothing else.

Byron.

Tropical Trav 04-22-2013 10:07 AM

My son and my girlfriend really want some Guppies. Can you tell me quantites of fish If I get loaches, glass cats, cardinal tetra and guppies? How many of each??

Also, I planted my tank last night. 2 sword plants, 2 hornwart, 3 java ferns and 4 corkscrew vals. I will be ordering water sprite online also. I cant find it at any stores. I will post a pic pretty soon. Any others I should get? Do I need more since i will be slightly overstocking this aquarium?

This website has been very helpful to me.

Byron 04-22-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tropical Trav (Post 1833905)
My son and my girlfriend really want some Guppies. Can you tell me quantites of fish If I get loaches, glass cats, cardinal tetra and guppies? How many of each??

Also, I planted my tank last night. 2 sword plants, 2 hornwart, 3 java ferns and 4 corkscrew vals. I will be ordering water sprite online also. I cant find it at any stores. I will post a pic pretty soon. Any others I should get? Do I need more since i will be slightly overstocking this aquarium?

I would not put guppies in with the glass cats, guppies are much too active. And while guppies are livebearers and thus best with harder water, they are one livebearer that manages in less than ideal water, though I personally do not see this as an excuse for treating them less than best, so I still can't recommend it.

Cardinals are very soft water fish, very soft. You might want to dilute the water to lower the softness if you get cardinals.

Plants are fine; you might want to get a pygmy chain sword or chain sword if you can find either; they are ideal substrate plants as once settled they spread via runners, as it notes in the profiles.

Byron.

Tropical Trav 04-22-2013 10:59 AM

Thank you Byron.

What other Tetras would be suitable? I want a fish like the tetra in my tank with some bright glowing color. Neons are cool if they would work. I really want the glass catfish and want to work around them. How about loaches, glass cats, neon tetras (i will go with cherry barbs if tetras will not work and the barbs will) and 2 Dalmation Mollies (the other fish my girlfriend wants lol). Im open to any other suggestions also. I just want at least 4 different kinds of fish if possible. And the glass catfish are mandatory.

JDM 04-22-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tropical Trav (Post 1833905)

Guppies... I'm glad that my daughter (my cohort in tank crime) doesn't like guppies. You need to consider that guppies reproduce like crazy so two things happen... 1) your end up with baby fish that get eaten (the cats will do that nicely) or 2) you end up with too many fish for your tank and have to try to give them away.

I like the idea of stocking more than minimum on fish levels as this accommodates some potential losses without having to "top off" the group and when they start out small the tank has time to rebalance as they grow. Even though it may be slightly overstocked, the tank isn't going to have any growing pains. I don't think I would choose to do that in a non-planted tank though.

I won''t suggest numbers as I think that you have two many species of fish for the tank and guppies prefer harder basic water (over 9dGH and pH above 7) while cardinal tetras prefer soft acidic water (less than 4dGH and pH under 6.0) so your water requirements don't go anywhere near overlapping.

On the plants, very good start... once you get everything in that you have planted and ordered you should be able to stock fish right away. Put one species in at a time, starting with the tetras and higher water fish, leave loaches and cats until later and leave at least two weeks between additions... maybe three.

Jeff.

JDM 04-22-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tropical Trav (Post 1834265)
Thank you Byron.

What other Tetras would be suitable? I want a fish like the tetra in my tank with some bright glowing color. Neons are cool if they would work. I really want the glass catfish and want to work around them. How about loaches, glass cats, neon tetras (i will go with cherry barbs if tetras will not work and the barbs will) and 2 Dalmation Mollies (the other fish my girlfriend wants lol). Im open to any other suggestions also. I just want at least 4 different kinds of fish if possible. And the glass catfish are mandatory.

That's what happens when it takes me so long to get to a started post.

Cherry barbs are great and will do well in harder water too. With a good number they show their colours nicely. I have 16 in my 37 gallon tank and the males are very red. They tend to shoal more in more current and just wander around in less current... as a sidenote.

Jeff.

Byron 04-22-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tropical Trav (Post 1834265)
Thank you Byron.

Building around the Glass Catfish, I would look at the medium rasbora, such as Trigonostigma hengeli, Trigonstigma espei, or Trigonstigma heteromorpha. Among the characins (tetra), look into Roberts Tetra, Rosy Tetra, Lemon Tetra, Black Phantom Tetra, Flame Tetra, Neon Tetra. With any of these, a group of 7-8. In a 36g bowfront, I would say 3 such groups (plus the Glass cats, so 4 total) or one more.

For the substrate, perhaps some corys if you have sand or fine gravel (small sized grains that are smooth). A group of 6-9.

Byron.