Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Tiger Barbs nipping! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/tiger-barbs-nipping-15747/)

travcoe 06-23-2008 01:21 AM

Tiger Barbs nipping!

I have 2 tiger barbs and 2 green tiger barbs in a 29g with 5 black skirts, and I discovered today that one of the tiger barbs is nipping one of the green barbs considerably. I feed them well and they are on a varied diet, and it's only 1 tiger barb nipping one of the green ones, at least I can't see any damage to the other green barb. the 2 green barbs are fine around the other tiger barb. The barb that is doing the nipping won't even let them near food if he sees them. what's causing this, and how can i stop it? will he kill the green barb??

iamntbatman 06-23-2008 01:27 AM

Tiger barbs are one of the most nippy fish. Get at least two more of them. The bigger the school, the less aggressive they are towards one another as well as your other fish. Standard tigers and green barbs, as well as albino tiger barbs, will all school together, so you be able to add any sort of tiger barb to solve your problems.

travcoe 06-23-2008 01:35 AM

yeah that was my plan to try and solve the problem, but it brings up another issue.. i'm broke for 5 more days, do you think the green barb will be okay until then?? theres a ton of hiding spots in the tank, and they eat as much as they can before the angry barb sees them. i had a 20g tank that just cycled but i recently had to empty and move it, i couldve just moved the green ones there until i got more :? bad timing i guess.

tophat665 06-23-2008 08:45 PM

Tiger Barbs nipping. In other news, water wet, sky blue, emo kids pathetic.

Tiger Barbs nip. It's what they do. It's what they live for. If you had a tiger barb that was sick and could either swim or nip, it would ask you to move it nearer to another fish's fins so that it could nip them.

Get a larger school. 8 or more if you have room. Trade in other fish if you don't have room.

/ iamntbatman's right - you should be able to get by with 6.

If you're green one is injured, remove him to a hospital tank or a net breeder. Throw some melafix in there to sooth the ragged fins.

travcoe 06-24-2008 01:40 AM

bahah thanks for the response. i'll pick up a couple more on thursday and see how things go. i dont know if hes injured or not, he hasn't come out much in the last couple days, but he seems alright.. hes been taking the brunt of the nipping though so i was just looking out for him.

herefishy 06-24-2008 02:29 AM

Don't expect miracles when stocking tiger barbs. Nippy? What else did you expect?

travcoe 06-24-2008 02:46 AM

Heh, I don't know.. before I got this tank, I took care of goldfish. I wasn't sure what to expect. :?