Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   EcoBio-Rock/Pebbles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ecobio-rock-pebbles-157297/)

Trey740 04-19-2013 01:30 PM

EcoBio-Rock/Pebbles

I recently came across an article and website about an EcoBio-Rock/Pebbles that are used to help clean the aquarium water and also put the right bacteria in the tank for healthy levels in the water.

Aquarium Care with EcoBio-Block Makes Cloudy Water Clear and Healthy

There is the link to the website.

I was wondering if this is a good product? I was actually thinking about getting the pebbles or the rock because it does sound like a good product. I just want to know if anyone has used this or heard about them and if they actually work before I purchase anything.

AbbeysDad 04-19-2013 01:49 PM

This is another non-ceramic bio-media product not unlike Seachems' Matrix and De*Nitrate that in a sense emulates live rock in SW as it has macro and micro pores to promote the development of beneficial bacteria colonies.

Although it looks like it would be as good as other bio-medias, I can't speak to it's effectiveness as I haven't used it.

SinCrisis 04-22-2013 12:28 PM

I haven't used anything like this before, but for the prices, it seems like an unnecessary expense. I've used all forms of substrate from soil and sand to gravel and even marbles (Not my proudest moment).

There are cheaper ways to jump start your cycle for the same benefits the rocks claim to give you such as Seachem's Stability to seed the tank.

AbbeysDad 04-22-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 1835145)
I haven't used anything like this before, but for the prices, it seems like an unnecessary expense. I've used all forms of substrate from soil and sand to gravel and even marbles (Not my proudest moment).

There are cheaper ways to jump start your cycle for the same benefits the rocks claim to give you such as Seachem's Stability to seed the tank.

Ah, but you're only thinking about aerobic processing of ammonia and nitrites. These medias 'promise' the ability within their inner regions to culture anaerobic bacteria by completing the N2 cycle, converting nitrates to nitrogen gas.

Byron 04-22-2013 05:28 PM

From what I have read on that website, I would not use this product. The claims they make are not realistic.

And if you dig a bit further, they are suggesting this product for aquarists who are too laxy to do normal maintenance like water changes, and thus they suggest not doing them. Not a good idea. There is much more to aquarium bacteria that the nitrification.

It may work in a pond outdoors, but this is not advisable in an indoor aquarium.

Byron.