Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Algone Product? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/algone-product-15725/)

kdharvey 06-22-2008 02:05 PM

Algone Product?

I've got green water in my tank and I've tried to get rid of it. I've got a timer for the light that is now on for 6 hrs a day. I've had the blinds closed in my room for a month and I've done 2 to 3 (about 40%) water changes a week (and cleaned gravel). It just keeps coming back within a few days. I'd like to try a product called Algone that claims to fix this problem but I'm hesitant to put chemicals into the tank. Has anyone used this product with success? Are there any other products anyone would suggest to help control the green algae water? Thanks!

Pasfur 06-22-2008 02:24 PM

I've never used it.

I can tell you this. I have experienced green water multiple times at home over the years. I have also helped a dozen or so fishkeepers eliminate the problem. In each case, the technique below has eliminated the problem without fish loss. Here is what I do:

I turn out the light and cover the tank with a dark sheet or blanket. I do not feed and allow no light to access the tank for 48 hours. This blackout period eliminates the green water. You will need to do a large water change, or several small water changes after the blackout period.

Additionally, if you have a power filter, be sure to check the filter pads frequently during the blackout.

I know this is a controversial technique. However, I can tell you it worked in each case i have witnessed.

iamntbatman 06-22-2008 03:49 PM

+1 on the blackout. I've read a lot of different "solutions" to green water problems in a lot of different places, and none of them seem to be successful every time except for the complete 48 hour blackout.

I've never had to use a blackout as I've never really had green water problems, but I can attest to the killing power of a blackout. All of my anacharis completely died during a 24 hour power outage (the room receives no natural sunlight). The point of this story was to show that the method works, but also to show that you definitely want to move your more fragile or light-demanding live plants to another tank while you do the blackout.

kdharvey 06-22-2008 04:17 PM

A 48 hr blackout wont be harmful to the fish?

Pasfur 06-22-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdharvey
A 48 hr blackout wont be harmful to the fish?

Again, it is controversial. There are experienced hobbyists who will tell you not to do it, for a variety of reasons that I do not agree with. There are just as many experienced hobbyists who have had great success with it. I am among that group, so i say go for it. I have never had a fish die as a result of the blackout.

FuzzAz 06-23-2008 03:22 AM

I have used the product and it did work, all the fish and plants are fine. I used 1/4 of the recommended dose and it cleared the tank within 2 hours, 3 days later the green water slightly came back and I added another 1/4 of the recommended dose. in addition I cut back on the liquid ferts and reduced light from 12 hours to 10 and havenít had another outbreak in months. I tried blackout method twice in the same week and the green water came back the day I turned the lights back on both times. I have no idea if algone is bad or what is in it, but green water can eventually suffocate your fish, so somthing has to be done. try the natural method first.

Mr.Todd 06-24-2008 01:42 AM

You could always throw some freshwater clams in to clear up the problem. :lol:

okiemavis 06-24-2008 06:13 PM

Unfortunatly, clams feed solely on green water, so unless you're willing to continue to culture GW, you'll have some dead clams on your hands. They're also really not suited for a community aquarium. I learned the hard way, check it out:

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15584