Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Need help with my fish... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/need-help-my-fish-15724/)

fae493 06-22-2008 01:21 PM

Need help with my fish...

Okay, So i got my beta, edward about 2 and half weeks ago and hes been doing really good even though i had to introduce him from regular fish food to beta pellets... last night he started acting strange and he quit eating- he wont touch it. Also, hes been adament about staying in the corner inside the plant... hes been doing that since we refilled his one gallon tank a bit since the water level has been going down... Im worried he may be sick- hes starting to look sort of pale with whiteish stripes down his head and back... please tell me my fish isnt going to keel over?

Kim 06-22-2008 03:50 PM

Could you post a picture? Is he exibiting any other signs, bloated look, raised scales, sores, ragged fins, etc.? Also, if you could describe your tank setup a little more, and list any recent changes that would help. Do you treat your water with any chemicals? I'm sorry I can't help now, but if you give me a little more info. I might be able to help. Good luck.

Kim

fae493 06-22-2008 10:34 PM

Ill post some pictures, but he looks a little burnt or chewed on his tail.. we have a 1 gallon fish tank with an air pump and a normal old lamp... hes just not looking right.. i really hope you can help me

also one of my friends has had bettas for years and they told me i didnt need all these chemicals...

the first is him with my tank layout:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...ics2008003.jpg

the second is him where you can see both sides of him and as you can see...its none too pretty.:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...ics2008005.jpg

Kim 06-23-2008 07:42 AM

From the pictures it looks as if he has fin rot, which is a bacterial infection of the fins. The lighter colored streaks that are appearing on his body are a sign of stress, usually due to illness. At this point it looks as if the fin rot on his smaller bottom fins (I don't know the correct term for them) has progressed up to his body. This is what would be making him loose his appetite and hide as it is getting serious at this point. I would begin treating him with an antibiotic such a tetracycline, jungle fungus eliminator, or Maracyn 2. The sooner the better, you can get these at www.drsfostersmith.com, but if you can get them elsewhere quicker that would be better. Dose as recommended for your size aquarium, but because of the size you may want to do more frequent water changes to avoid other complications. Lastly, don't feel bad because most likely your fish already had this condition in the pet store. When I went to get my betta, there were NO fish that were not sick in some way. I used tetracycline on him to treat his fin rot and now he is happy and healthy. Good luck.
Kim

JMeenen 06-23-2008 10:31 AM

From the Photo his fins look burned...How often are you doing a 25% water chang? what chemical are you using for water change and have you used any chemicals otherwise...are you using tap water (I hope) and NOT distilled?

ErinBBC 06-23-2008 12:16 PM

From what I've learned with my betta and from all these experiences on the forum, bettas can NOT do well in small unheated, unfiltered tanks. The low temp (they need temps in the high 70s all the time) makes them vulnerable to illness and without a filter dangerous ammonia levels can occur.

I would strongly recommend upgrading to at least a 3 gallon tank with a heater and filter and treating him for his illness. Also when you do water changes make sure the temperature of the new water is as close as possible to the water in the tank or your fish can go into shock.

Also you said your friend told you not to use chemicals - he's wrong, if you don't leave your water out for at least 24 hours before putting it in the tank you must use water conditioner to get rid of the chlorine which can poison your fish.

I hope your fish gets better!

fae493 06-23-2008 01:50 PM

I just got the tank about a week ago... mine was falling apart, and can you use tetracycline?

We use filtered water, and i have a watersoftener on our system..

today i put in some anti ick and fungus tablets... i dont know what else to do... i really hope he starts feeling better- i even got him bloodworms because maybe he just doesnt like his food... thanks alot guys

JMeenen 06-23-2008 03:27 PM

What are you using tetracycline for? It appears that you need a larger system.2.5 gallon at least ...with a heater as Bettas need to be 78-80 degrees and a small sponge filter unit with adjustable flow...Do a 25% water change every few days at LEAST once a week using tap water with a water conditioner ( ie Dechlorinator) If you are using tetracycline for the fin problem try Bettafix instead it is much milder....but fix your water situation first

fae493 06-24-2008 12:57 AM

Well... hes starting to look a little better..

lets hope he lives... id rather him look a little chewed on than be sick...

Again, thanks alot, all of you... i was at a loss as how to help ed..