Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Homemade Liquid Fry food (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/homemade-liquid-fry-food-15688/)

gupgupgirl 06-21-2008 01:23 AM

Homemade Liquid Fry food

Hello!

I've heard the talk about how feeding live food is the way to go and what not, but what about Liquid Fry Food such as the most common boiled egg yolk and water mixture? I've read a lot of good things about that too.

Anyone used it or seen good results from it?

Thanks!

Gupgupgirl

Amphitrite 06-26-2008 07:54 AM

Re: Homemade Liquid Fry food

Quote:

Originally Posted by gupgupgirl
Hello!

I've heard the talk about how feeding live food is the way to go and what not, but what about Liquid Fry Food such as the most common boiled egg yolk and water mixture? I've read a lot of good things about that too.

Anyone used it or seen good results from it?

Thanks!

Gupgupgirl

I've heard about people using the egg yolk method successfully, but haven't tried it myself. For tiny fry (such as zebra danios) I use a product called liquifry, moving on to crushed flakes as they get a bit bigger.

okiemavis 06-26-2008 04:19 PM

I generally stay away from any non-live food when breeding fish, especially sensitive ones. Water quality is of paramount importance and live food makes retaining that much easier. Prepared food begins degrading the water the minute it enters the tank, whereas most live food can survive at least 12-24 hours in the tank, giving the fry a chance to eat them, before it dies and adds to the waste. Egg yolk is probably one of the messier, and therefore more problematic fry foods out there.

If you're looking to feed guppies, remember that they are a lot larger than many other fish fry, so the same tiny foods are not required. A lot of people have success just feeding crushed up flake food, which, unlike egg, has been designed to go to mush as slowly as possible. When I kept guppies I never fed anything special to the fry, and just stuck to feeding normal flake food once a day. While this won't result in optimal survival numbers for a breeder, I actually had much higher survival rates than I actually wanted or expected.

world_wide_will 06-30-2008 10:55 AM

Hatching bbs isnt a bad idea and isnt all that difficult and is what I mix in my fry diets. Ive used different types of liquid food and found the results to be the same for them all. Since it is simply a cloud of stuff that the fry can not posibly find it all you will find yourself doing more water changes than you have to. You can still try it but I stoped feeding it to my fry. Just go with micro worms, newly hatched baby brine shrimp, and powdered flake food.! Good luck with your breeding :D

lanlananhanh 07-12-2009 09:25 PM

Thanks so much for sharing the post.:roll:

credit auto