Tropical Fish Keeping banner

I need your ideas

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jeaninel 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I just finished moving the fish from my 65 into my 90 gallon. I will post a photo later (have to take some first) but the current contents are
1 - 4 inch angelfish
4 - cherry barbs
3 - gold barbs
1 - 7 inch red tail shark
1 - rubber pleco
2 - brick red velvet swordtails (female)

Since these fish have a 200+ tank waiting for them when they are ready, I am looking for a few more fish to just set things off. This is my show tank, and I only have 2 of my 14 tanks that are "show tanks"... everything else is used for breeding and fry. For that reason I am very particular about how my "show tanks" look. I am looking for something with blue in it... have already ruled out blue tetras because they are too aggressive and nippy, and have ruled out dwarf gouramis due to my angel bing king of the tank. Neons and cardinals are out because they would be food for the angel and shark.

So, my question is, does anyone have some creative suggestions for additions to this tank? I am toying with turquoise rainbows, but if someone here can come up with something that stays a bit smaller, I would love to hear it!
Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
Personally, I would get a few more barbs of each specie to bring them out the best. That could look very pretty in a nice show tank. I would also get some sort of Top-Dweller that grows somehwhat large but is still active.

Also, if your shark would allow it, maybe a small shoal of Corydoras Sterbai? There is a lot going on the the middle section, and this could help the bottom.

#4 ·
How about Praecox Rainbows (Dwarf Neon Rainbow)? They have a beautiful blue sheen to their body with red or orange fins (depending on gender).

#8 ·
Thank you everyone for the ideas! I was at the lfs today and I found what I needed. I went with red & blue columbian tetras. They are acclimating right now, but should fit into the mix nicely.
I still have some more playing to do with the plants, but I will try to get some photos posted this wk sometime.

With the current mixture of fish, the columbian tetras should fill in the mid level in the tank, which is what it was needing.

On a sadder note... it looks like my oscar is on her way out... there isn't anything more I can do for her. Due to the recent discoloration, it appears her kidneys are shutting down. I shouldn't complain, I've had 12 wonderful years with this fish... but I sure will miss her once she's gone. That will leave my 120 needing to be newly stocked, so I'm sure I will be back asking for ideas when that time comes too.

Thanks again to everyone...

#10 ·
Thanks Flashygrrl,
Rob and I sat down tonight and figured out how old she would be in people years, based on the normal lifespan of a captive bred and raised albino oscar. I thought everyone would find it intersting to know that in people years, she is 101.8 yrs old! Normal lifespan for a captive bred & raised albino oscar is usually 6 - 9 yrs. That makes her pretty old... I just wish I could have another 12 with her. Plans have already been made to preserve her body for burial when the time comes, and she will have a final resting place beneath my rose bushes.
Thanks for the support!

#11 ·
So sorry to hear about your Oscar. She was surely given a lot of loving care to have such a long life.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your 90.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.