Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Weird filter gunk and coloration (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/weird-filter-gunk-coloration-15637/)

Blaxicanlatino 06-19-2008 09:12 AM

Weird filter gunk and coloration

I noticed for the past week, theres been these green spots on my whisper power filter. I dont have a pic, but its a whisper power filter ( the one that creates the small waterfall like motion). The best way i can discribe it is; imagine you have a whisper power filter and its all white (instead of its normal black color) then where the water comes out into the tank, get a green marker and put dots in that area and thats how mine looks. What the heck is up with the green spots? I also noticed that the tank is getting a weird smell.
is it something i should be worried about?

1077 06-19-2008 11:03 AM

Assuming you have not used any medications that would turn water blue then I would not be alarmed about spots. The smell however is usually a signal that filter needs rinsed out in aquarium water and that perhaps maint. needs stepped up. :wink:

jeaninel 06-19-2008 12:26 PM

It may be green spot algae. Does it wipe off fairly easily or is it really hard to scrape off?

okiemavis 06-19-2008 03:45 PM

Yeah, sounds like green spot algae to me as well. It's not really that dire, as it's slow growing and rarely takes over a tank. Some amount of algae is to be expected in all aquariums. If you're seeing it spring up/spread often though it's definitely a sign of a nutrient problem though.

As for the smell, is it a rotten egg smell? If so, you need to do gravel vacs as your substrate is becoming anaerobic. Here's a recent thread on that:
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18384

If not that smell, is it very musty? If so, perhaps the spots are cyanobacteria, which is similar to algae. It's very stinky stuff, and again, a sign of a nutrient problem.

If it's neither of those, it's probably decaying food and/or plant matter. Do a thorough gravel vac and water change, rinse the decorations lightly in tank water and make sure you're not overfeeding. The best solution to all of these problems is regular tank maintenance :D

willow 06-19-2008 03:55 PM

yup,everything everyone else said. :)

Blaxicanlatino 06-20-2008 09:40 AM

okay well, i tried to wipe the freen stuff and it was VERY wasy to wipe off. The smell smells nothing like rotten eggs but i think it was due to the previous dying amazon sword. but i just got to bulbs and ferts for it so it should be good. Today is a day of tank maintenance ( once a week every friday). Im using a whisper power filter so do i have to change the blue sponge like filter thing? I was told not to because it contain much of the bacteria but its starting to clog

THANKS ALOT EVERYONE :D :)

okiemavis 06-20-2008 04:57 PM

What model filter is it?

You can remove and rinse/replace the sponge. If you're rinsing it make sure to do it in lukewarm, dechlorinated water.

The most important thing to do is not to change everything at the same time. If you've got a sponge and a filter insert with carbon, only change one, and then the next week change the other. If you've only got a sponge in your filter, you should probably look at adding more filtration media.

Blaxicanlatino 06-21-2008 12:09 PM

what do recommend as the kind of filter media?

iamntbatman 06-21-2008 02:10 PM

I use HBH Aqua-Pure filter fiber. You can buy mesh filter media bags and stuff it full of fiber. I use old plastic filter cartridge frames, stick 'em in those mesh bags, then add some filter fiber.

Blaxicanlatino 06-23-2008 11:34 AM

Ive also noticed the gavel turning a brown color as well. I was told it is brown algae. How can i get rid of this? And how can i make my water less acidic? the PH is about 6.3-6.5