Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Mixing Salt (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/mixing-salt-156297/)

Sakura8 04-18-2013 12:05 PM

Mixing Salt

This question is actually for a brackish tank setup but it would apply to any tank that needs salt. My question is how do I go about actually mixing up the saltwater? Do I just mix the appropriate amount of salt with a bit of water and then pour in? Do I really need to aerate the mixture for 24 hours before adding? What about water changes? I've seen on youtube that I need to premix the stuff in a bucket and then aerate it and I would do that if the tank had some sensitive SW fish but does this apply to a brackish puffer and some ramshorn snails too?

wake49 04-18-2013 12:22 PM

What Salinity (specific gravity is the measure I am familiar with) do you want your tank at? I looked it up and most brackish are btween 1.005 and 1.010 sg. My Saltwater tank is 1.025 and I use about a 1/2 cup of salt per gallon, so Brackish, I imagine, could be less than an 1/8 of a cup to reach those levels.

I use a brand new, washed with vinegar, 5 gallon bucket. I add about 3 gallons of water, add enough salt for five gallons and then put a powerhead in. I let that mix for about an hour, then add the rest of the water, a heater and keep the powerhead going for at least overnight. Once it is up to temp, I test the water with a Hydrometer (because my friend and I share a refractometer and he always has it) and adjust accordingly. If it is too salty (I try not to have that happen) then I take out saltwater and add RO/Di. If it is not salty enough, I add salt. I do not aerate it because if too much splashes up, it creates salt-creep, which can be a pain in the neck...

Hope this helps!

Sakura8 04-18-2013 12:26 PM

Yeah, brackish said about 1 tablespoon per gallon for a gravity of 1.005.

So, notes to self: pick up new bucket and powerhead.

And lol, Wake. If your friend always has the refractometer, I don't think that's sharing. ;)

What do you do if you need more water for a water change than 5 gallons? Use multiple buckets?

wake49 04-18-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakura8 (Post 1792913)
And lol, Wake. If your friend always has the refractometer, I don't think that's sharing. ;)

Yep. I only steal it when mixing new water (liking starting a new tank) or every once in a while to make sure I am in my range. He has most of the equipment, come to think about...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakura8 (Post 1792913)
What do you do if you need more water for a water change than 5 gallons? Use multiple buckets?

Yes. I have three buckets I use for saltwater and one I use for water changes to empty from the tank. But I am down to a 20 gallon tall, so I never really need more than one bucket...