Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking for a 30 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-30-gallon-15621/)

Garrity828 06-18-2008 01:38 PM

Stocking for a 30 gallon

I have a 20 g and 30 g. The 20 g just finished cycling and has 3 Serpae tetras and 1 swordtail. I plan to make the 20 g a cherry shrimp breeding/java moss growing tank. I want to move the 3 Serpae and 1 sword to the 30 (empty). Once that finishes cycling, I want to add 3 more Serpae, 6 Peppered OR Sterbai Corydoras, and 4-6 Kuhli loaches. Both tanks will be heavily planted with a sand substrate.

okiemavis 06-18-2008 06:11 PM

Were you hoping for critique/suggestions on the stocking you have planned?

What are the dimensions of the 30 gallon tank? I ask because if it's a high, or a 29G it's probably a bit crowded for two shoals of fish. Other than that, it should be quite nice.

My local aquarium society meeting was monday night and the speaker was talking about dwarf freshwater shrimp (which he keeps and breeds a LOT of). Apparently they do better in large/crowded colonies. The denser the population, the healthier they are and the more they breed (if you keep on top of your water quality of course). He was saying that a 10 gallon could easily house hundreds and that even big-time commercial breeders prefer not to keep them in larger tanks than 30 gallons, as the colony becomes so gigantic (in the thousands), that it's impossible to keep track of them.

Um, so what I'm trying to say is that if you want to breed cherries, a 20 gallon is a pretty awesome setup! If you want more info, please do ask, as my head is filled with lots more information. Just, ask quick, cuz I think I'm forgetting it!

Garrity828 06-18-2008 09:40 PM

It's a 30 long. So, I could fit the 6 cories, 5 kuhlis, and 6 Serpaes in there? Or should I cut the kuhlis and get a mid-upper level swimmer?

But, in my 30 g, the heater keeps the water at 90 F, no matter what I set it to. If I put on low, high, middle, or between, it just stays at 90 F. Does anybody know a way to fix this, or should I just buy a new heater?

Flashygrrl 06-19-2008 06:21 AM

What's the average temp in your house there? If it's really hot and you don't have AC or anything that might be the problem....otherwise, yeah, it's time for a better heater.

1077 06-19-2008 06:51 AM

I personally like the visi-therm heater. I would probably opt for 100 to 150 watt. :)

okiemavis 06-19-2008 07:54 AM

Sounds like the thermostat is broken in your heater. It's pretty much always worth it to have one that you know works perfectly, much better than the alternative.

I use Jager personally, I just like their warranty. I had one break and had absolutely no trouble replacing it.

Garrity828 06-19-2008 11:15 AM

I left my heater off overnight. Then, this morning, I turned it all the way up, and the water has been 79 F for 6 hours now. I think it my be working, but I'll wait this one out.

I added 2 prawns to the 30 g, sonow I won't add the Serpaes and Sword till the cycle is over. But now, the filter in the 30 g is broken. :x . It's plugged in, but won't turn on. I know the wall outlet is fine because I have other things plugged into it. I tried adding water, but no luck. What could the problem be now? I can't get a refund because I bought everything from a garage sale and I don't know the company that made the heater.

iamntbatman 06-19-2008 03:21 PM

Were you trying to run the filter dry? Running a power filter dry like that can be damaging to it because without the resistance of the water on the impeller, it spins much faster than it should and can cause problems. When you plug it in, is it making noise, like an electrical buzzing sound? You might just have to reseat the impeller.

Garrity828 06-19-2008 03:42 PM

No, I had it running for a few weeks, but overnight it stopped working(sucking in water and flowing it back out). If I plug it in it doesn't make the buzzing noise. How do I reset the impeller? What is the impeller?

iamntbatman 06-19-2008 04:33 PM

On most power filters, you have the intake tube coming up out of the water and bending into an upside-down "U" shape. Usually, the intake tube then connects to the filter through some sort of housing for the impeller. Yank the tube out of this housing, and pull the housing with the impeller out. There should be a little dip in the filter that looks like that's where the bottom of the impeller goes. Sometimes the impeller can get knocked loose and can prevent the whole filter from working.

http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/4543_filter_1.jpg

Excuse the crappy MS Paint picture. The grey tube is the intake tube, the black box is the impeller housing (although it might not actually be box-shaped, depending on your filter) and the red thing is the impeller. It should be like a metal rod with a plastic gear-looking thing on it. Just from taking it apart, it should be pretty obvious how the three pieces are supposed to fit together, so it shouldn't be too hard to fix it. If this doesn't solve your problem, you might have bad wiring somewhere in the filter.