Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Should I add anything to this stocking? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/should-i-add-anything-stocking-155849/)

Elliriyanna 04-17-2013 06:56 PM

Should I add anything to this stocking?

I have a 10 gallon set up I am currently cycling the sponge filter. I have a 20 gallon air pump and a 10 gallon sponge filter and the current stocking plan is

- 1 Betta
- 2-3 Mystery Snails
- 5 Glowlight Tetras

This seems fairly well stocked to me but what do you think? Would you add anything? I can EASILY add another 10 gallon sponge filter.

I considered something like kuhli loaches or really anything non aggressive. The Betta is very laid back but he does have rather large fins

jaysee 04-17-2013 08:36 PM

In my experience kuhli loaches need a much bigger tank. They like to zoom around the tank. I would not keep them in less than a 30 inch tank.

Elliriyanna 04-17-2013 09:08 PM

They were just an idea :)

jaysee 04-17-2013 09:09 PM

I think you are good with what you have. I would not add anything else.

Elliriyanna 04-17-2013 09:10 PM

All I have is a snail and a Betta ... The above list is just what I am thinking of stocking with.

jaysee 04-17-2013 09:12 PM

Ohhh. Yeah, I wouldn't get more than what you were thinking of adding. Truthfully, I think 3 mysteries are two too many for a 10. If you would like to add another snail, get a nerite.

Elliriyanna 04-17-2013 09:15 PM

Really? Everywhere I read says 2.5 - 3 gallons per snail ... And they are using a part of the tank that only the other snails will be using ... I was trying to cover all my areas of the tank.

jaysee 04-17-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliriyanna (Post 1787457)
Really? Everywhere I read says 2.5 - 3 gallons per snail ... And they are using a part of the tank that only the other snails will be using ... I was trying to cover all my areas of the tank.

mysteries get fairly large and produce a good amount of waste. Too, do you want them breeding? A 10 is a very small tank - that's just my feeling on the matter. I don't advise people based on what sources say - I advise based on my own experience ;-) I often disagree with sources, but I generally prefer my fish to have more than the absolute bare minimum.

Elliriyanna 04-17-2013 09:26 PM

well I can just get one more that I LOVE thats no issue lol ... I like to give them more than the minimum. No I prefer them not to breed but I do love my snails and I don't like having animals shipped to me.

My sources are snail forums and such :) I like species specific forums when possible

jaysee 04-17-2013 09:31 PM

As long as you provide them with enough food, it shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, you'll have starvation going on, which from what I've seen is a fairly common problem with too many snails in too small of a tank. I'm sure you'll get better advice on your snail forum than I'm giving you. There is no shortage of opinions, and there is no RIGHT opinion.